MOre from Linda on current reading material -

  • sundstromlinda
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 20, 2006
      I just finsihed THE SHADOW OF THE WIND by Carlos Ruiz Zafon. English
      translation. Anyone else read this wonderful book? I was enthralled
      and now am in search of similar meaty fare. Any suggestions come to
      mind?
      Linda
    • alexeik@aol.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 21, 2006
        I just finsihed THE SHADOW OF THE WIND by Carlos Ruiz Zafon. English
        translation. Anyone else read this wonderful book? I was enthralled
        and now am in search of similar meaty fare. Any suggestions come to
        mind?
        Linda

        <<

        As it happens, I read it in Spanish last year, and I did love it. Not exactly a fantasy, though hardly an example of bourgeois realism either (especially the "book cemetery" -- although there are discreet supernatural bits in it, like the haunted villa). Elements of Gothic fiction, too, though very "unorthodox". I see it as an intellectually beefed-up descendant of those 19th-century adventure romances by Paul Feval and Gaston Leroux (which have no genuine English-language counterparts).
        I don't see anything very similar to Zafon in contemporary literature, but Arturo Perez-Reverte's philosophical-historical-adventure novels are somewhat in the same mold.
        Alexei Recent Activity
        1New Members
        Visit Your Group
        Genre magazine
        Science fiction and fantasy
        Film genres
        Yahoo! Movies
        What's Hot Now
        Check out the top
        rated movies.
        Yahoo! News
        Adventure Beat
        Travel the world
        with Richard Bangs
        Yahoo! TV
        Staying in tonight?
        Check Daily Picks &
        see what to watch..

        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 22, 2006
          I just finsihed THE SHADOW OF THE WIND by Carlos Ruiz Zafon. English
          translation. Anyone else read this wonderful book? I was enthralled
          and now am in search of similar meaty fare. Any suggestions come to
          mind?
          Linda

          <<

          I should have added that, before he wrote _La sombra del viento_, Carlos Ruiz Zafon had written a number of y/a novels in much the same quasi-fantastic mode. I don't have them available right now to check, but I seem to recall that their titles were something like _El principe de la niebla_ and _El palacio del encantamiento_. I don't know offhand if they were ever translated, but if you liked his adult novel you might like these too.
          Alexei

          Recent Activity
          1New Members
          Visit Your Group