Re: Second-unit directors

  • David Berberick
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 19, 2006
      --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "William Cloud Hicklin" <solicitr@...>
      wrote:

      > --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, WendellWag@ wrote:
      > They would
      > > have hired a director (and may be a casting person) who could
      > pick more
      > > appropriate actors
      >

      > While anybody who's read my stuff here or on rabt/aft knows I'm
      > no defender of PJ, there is still in my mind a scale on which to
      > rank his crimes, and casting comes close to the bottom. I have
      > little problem with most of the cast (save that Elijah Wood was
      > far, far too young). My personal image of Denethor is something
      > more like Basil Rathbone or Peter Cushing (or, indeed,
      > Christopher Lee): but the mangled, awful mock-Denethor in the
      > films wasn't John Noble's fault, but PJ's. Similarly I don't
      > doubt that Rhys-Davies could have played an admirable Gimli had
      > he been given that part, instead of "amusing short biker." I'm
      > not sure there is anybody involved who was simply miscast (as
      > opposed to having been given bad dialogue and direction),
      > although to my taste Cate Blanchette isn't nearly gorgeous enough
      > for Galadriel.

      Regarding Elijah Wood, seeing the guy talk in some of the bonus
      material made me realize that if he'd been allowed to play himself--a
      seemingly humble, decent, intelligent, regular guy--his acting would
      have been fine. Instead, we saw tears and tears and tears and facial
      tics crawling across his face. When he was staring at the Ring in the
      Council of Elrond scene, he looked like he was having a dangerously
      constipated bowel movement. Blech.