Re: re. the film

  • Mariette Knoblauch
    Message 1 of 139 , Dec 18, 2006

      > For my part, seeing Serkis's excellent work in other films (most
      > recently"The Prestige") has made me even more appalled at his bizarre
      > goofball
      > Gollum, especially in the one place he appears directly, the flashback
      > scene with Deagol.

      I would assume, since Serkis is a very good actor, that he was playing the
      part as directed. It's an actor's job to play the character as interpreted
      and instructed by the director, and if the director wants the character
      played "goofball", that's what the actor delivers. Even so, he did an
      excellent acting job, and Gollum wasn't treated nearly as badly as Gimli
      was.

      Wil Wheaton has something to say on the subject - he repeatedly begged to be
      able to play Wesley more like a normal teenager and not "annoying boy
      genius", but was overruled.

      Mariette

    • Mariette Knoblauch
      Message 139 of 139 , Dec 18, 2006