article about spiders with token Tolkien reference

  • John D Rateliff
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 18, 2006
      Just one more piece of evidence as to the extent to which JRRT has
      permeated our culture; experts have to remind people that real-world
      spiders don't act like those "in tales from J.R.R. Tolkien". The
      Tolkien quote comes pretty far down in the article, so here it is for
      those not interested in following the link:

      Hobos are most likely to bite when cornered, experts said. Except in
      tales from J.R.R. Tolkien, people are not their desired prey.

      > Creeping suspicions about story of hobo spider bite
      > Yes, there are hobo spiders in Western Washington and Seattle --
      > but arachnid experts cast doubt on the claim they're to blame
      > for flesh-eating infections.
      >
      > * Read the full article at:
      > http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/local/295595_hobos12.html

    • Elizabeth Hardy
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 12, 2007
        Hello all,
        I would like to shamelessly plug my new book, Milton, Spenser, and The Chronicles of Narnia: Sources for the C.S. Lewis Novels. I wasn’t expecting it to emerge until March, but I received my author’s copies just before Christmas (and the day before my daughter was born. 2006 was a very productive year for me!) The book analyzes the influence of Paradise Lost and The Faerie Queene upon the Chronicles. I am very grateful to this group for motivating me to finish the project. I presented part of the chapter on female characters at the 2003 Mythcon, and I received so much encouragement that I felt compelled to finish the project. The book is available from the usual online suspects (Amazon, B&N) and from the publisher, McFarland (www.mcfarlandpub.com).
        Thanks!
        Elizabeth Baird Hardy

      • jane Bigelow
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 14, 2007