2007 Mythopoeic Awards nominations

  • Eleanor Farrell
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 18, 2006
      2007 Mythopoeic Awards Announcement

      Individual members of the Mythopoeic Society are invited to nominate
      books for the 2007 Mythopoeic Awards, and/or to volunteer to serve on
      any of the committees. (You need not join the committee to make
      nominations.) Deadline for committee volunteers and for nominations
      (limit of five per person per category, please!) is February 15,
      2007; send nominations to the awards administrator (see contact info
      below) via e-mail (preferred) or U.S. mail. Authors or publishers may
      not nominate their own books for any of the awards. Books published
      by the Mythopoeic Press are not eligible for the awards. The
      Mythopoeic Society does not accept or review unsolicited manuscripts.

      The Mythopoeic Fantasy Award for Adult Literature is given to the
      fantasy novel, multi-volume novel, or single-author story collection
      for adults published during the previous year that best exemplifies
      "the spirit of the Inklings". Books not selected as finalists in the
      year after publication are eligible for a second year. Books from a
      series are eligible if they stand on their own; otherwise, the series
      becomes eligible the year its final volume appears.

      The Mythopoeic Fantasy Award for Children's Literature honors books
      for younger readers (from "Young Adults" to picture books for
      beginning readers), in the tradition of The Hobbit or The Chronicles
      of Narnia. Rules for eligibility are otherwise the same as for the
      Adult literature award. The question of which award a borderline book
      is best suited for will be decided by consensus of the committees.

      The Mythopoeic Scholarship Award in Inklings Studies is given to
      books on J.R.R. Tolkien, C.S. Lewis, and/or Charles Williams that
      make significant contributions to Inklings scholarship. For this
      award, books first published during the previous three years are
      eligible, including finalists for previous years.

      The Mythopoeic Scholarship Award in Myth and Fantasy Studies is given
      to scholarly books on other specific authors in the Inklings
      tradition, or to more general works on the genres of myth and
      fantasy. The period of eligibility is three years, as for the
      Inklings Studies award.

      Winners of the 2007 Mythopoeic Awards will be announced at the 38th
      Annual Mythopoeic Conference (Mythcon 38), to be held from August
      3-6, 2007, at the Clark Kerr Conference Center in Berkeley,
      California.

      Please contact Eleanor Farrell, the Awards Administrator, to nominate
      books, volunteer for committees, or ask questions about the
      Mythopoeic Awards process.

      Eleanor Farrell
      Mythopoeic Awards Administrator
      P.O. Box 320486
      San Francisco, CA 94132-0486
      E-mail: emfarrell@...

    • Lisa Padol
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 18, 2006
        I'll be on the adult committee as usual. Please make sure mail for the
        committee goes to me at <drcpunk@...>.

        -Lisa Padol

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • Diane Joy Baker

          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 20, 2006
            Eleanor-

            This reminds me that I really need to renew my membership (moving to another
            continent is not precisely conducive to keeping on top of these things) and
            then I would very much like to serve on the scholarship committee again.

            Regards,

            Alana

            On 12/18/06, Eleanor Farrell <emfarrell@...> wrote:

            > 2007 Mythopoeic Awards Announcement
            >
            > Individual members of the Mythopoeic Society are invited to nominate
            > books for the 2007 Mythopoeic Awards, and/or to volunteer to serve on
            > any of the committees. (You need not join the committee to make
            > nominations.) Deadline for committee volunteers and for nominations
            > (limit of five per person per category, please!) is February 15,
            > 2007; send nominations to the awards administrator (see contact info
            > below) via e-mail (preferred) or U.S. mail. Authors or publishers may
            > not nominate their own books for any of the awards. Books published
            > by the Mythopoeic Press are not eligible for the awards. The
            > Mythopoeic Society does not accept or review unsolicited manuscripts.
            >
            > The Mythopoeic Fantasy Award for Adult Literature is given to the
            > fantasy novel, multi-volume novel, or single-author story collection
            > for adults published during the previous year that best exemplifies
            > "the spirit of the Inklings". Books not selected as finalists in the
            > year after publication are eligible for a second year. Books from a
            > series are eligible if they stand on their own; otherwise, the series
            > becomes eligible the year its final volume appears.
            >
            > The Mythopoeic Fantasy Award for Children's Literature honors books
            > for younger readers (from "Young Adults" to picture books for
            > beginning readers), in the tradition of The Hobbit or The Chronicles
            > of Narnia. Rules for eligibility are otherwise the same as for the
            > Adult literature award. The question of which award a borderline book
            > is best suited for will be decided by consensus of the committees.
            >
            > The Mythopoeic Scholarship Award in Inklings Studies is given to
            > books on J.R.R. Tolkien, C.S. Lewis, and/or Charles Williams that
            > make significant contributions to Inklings scholarship. For this
            > award, books first published during the previous three years are
            > eligible, including finalists for previous years.
            >
            > The Mythopoeic Scholarship Award in Myth and Fantasy Studies is given
            > to scholarly books on other specific authors in the Inklings
            > tradition, or to more general works on the genres of myth and
            > fantasy. The period of eligibility is three years, as for the
            > Inklings Studies award.
            >
            > Winners of the 2007 Mythopoeic Awards will be announced at the 38th
            > Annual Mythopoeic Conference (Mythcon 38), to be held from August
            > 3-6, 2007, at the Clark Kerr Conference Center in Berkeley,
            > California.
            >
            > Please contact Eleanor Farrell, the Awards Administrator, to nominate
            > books, volunteer for committees, or ask questions about the
            > Mythopoeic Awards process.
            >
            > Eleanor Farrell
            > Mythopoeic Awards Administrator
            > P.O. Box 320486
            > San Francisco, CA 94132-0486
            > E-mail: emfarrell@... <emfarrell%40earthlink.net>

            Alana M. Vincent Howard, BFA MA
            Centre for Literature, Theology and the Arts
            University of Glasgow

            Flat 1/2
            11 Kelvinhaugh Gate
            Glasgow