Finding Neverland and Five Children and it

  • lakowskir
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 17, 2006
      I found Finding Neverland to be a very moving film -- brilliantly done.
      I don't think it bothered me at all even though I knew it wasn't historically
      accurate (the reviewers said as much when it first came out), but then
      so many films about famous persons aren't that you kind of expect that
      when you go.

      Johny Depp's performance was superb, but it was Freddie Highmore
      who really stole the show. Depp was so impressed by his performance
      that he persuaded Tim Burton to cast Highmore as Charlie in
      Charlie and the Chocolate factory.

      I watched the 5 Children and It (2004) again (with Freddie Highmore
      and Kenneth Brannagh) the other night after I made my earlier post.
      (The Psammead, a Jim Hensen puppet, was better and
      Brannagh worse than I remembered.) I admit it's not a great
      movie but I enjoyed watching it a second time. Certainly, it's not
      as good as the recent PBS Railway Children (circa 2000).

      I sometimes check the IMDB ratings for fun though I don't necessarily
      agree with them: Finding Neverland was rated 8.1/10 (with 40,000
      votes). "5 children and it" was 5.6/10 and rather absurdly the
      BBC miniseries was only rated 3.5. It's definitely a better adaptation
      than the 2004 film, but then many North American viewers seem
      to have no patience to match slow paced British (especially BBC) mini-series.

      As for Zipes, I agree with him about Disney, but he's
      being too much of a purist here. I don't think if you made an
      historically accurate film about J.M. Barrie or Hans Christian
      Andersen or the Grimm brothers it would be a box office success
      -- or for that matter Tolkien or Lewis. (I think everyone
      knows Shadowlands is partly fictional.) Most writers lead
      "boring lives". It's what happens "on the inside" that counts.