Re: Five Children and It and Finding Neverland

  • David Lenander
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 16, 2006
      Perhaps a good movie with very bad history/biography. So much so, that
      Jack Zipes spent much of his last chapter in his recent book on Hans
      Christian Andersen attacking _Finding Neverland_ for falsifying
      Barrie's life. As Zipes feels compelled to ask, regarding
      Andersen--but also Barrie: "is it ethical to produce a film that not
      only warps Andersen's intentions as a serious writer, but also
      overshadows his work and his life to such an extent that he and his
      tales are literally obfuscated and erased?" (since I can't find my
      copy, I'm quoting from a review that quotes this sentence, sorry,
      either by Frank Hugus in _Scandinavian Studies_ (78:221) or Timothy R.
      Tangherlini in the _Journal of Folklore Research_ (43:75). (It was odd
      that he seemed a lot more disturbed by _Finding Neverland_ than the
      famous Danny Kaye movie about Andersen.)
      On Dec 15, 2006, at 6:00 AM, mythsoc@yahoogroups.com wrote:

      > Re: Five Children and It
      > Posted by: "John D Rateliff" sacnoth@...   sacnoth32
      >
      > Thu Dec 14, 2006 12:54 pm (PST)
      > On Dec 13, 2006, at 9:52 PM, lakowskir wrote:
      > > the film about James Barrie and the making
      > > of Peter Pan whose title I forget.
      >
      > FINDING NEVERLAND. Good movie, and a much more sympathetic portrait
      > than I gather is the case in Birkin's book J. M. BARRIE AND THE LOST
      > BOYS.
      >
      > --JDR
      David Lenander
      d-lena@...