Five Children and It

  • lakowskir
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 13, 2006
      This is a rather belated response to David Lenander's post of 9th Dec. (having
      finally finished invigilating student exams)

      While I agree that the 2004 movie "5 Children and it" (the numeral is in the title)
      is nothing like the book, at least it's entertaining

      Kenneth Branagh's performance as the uncle was amusing though not nearly as
      good as his very smarmy Lockhart in the film of HP2. Freddy Highmore does
      a decent job in the lead role, though not as good as his performance in
      Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and the film about James Barrie and the making
      of Peter Pan whose title I forget.

      The parallels with C.S. Lewis I found rather striking especially since Branagh
      also does a half decent job of reading "The Magician's Nephew" for the
      Harper Audio Unabridged recording.

      I agree that the BBC Version of Five Children and It (originally released in
      the US as The Sand Fairy) is much better. It is now available on DVD;
      however, it comes with a really awful "sequel" (not written by Nesbitt)
      called The Return of It, which I think is basically unwatcheable.

      The BBC puppet of the Psammead (no CGI graphics here) in Five Children and It really
      steals the show. He also appears briefly in 1994 film version of the "real" Nesbitt
      sequel "The Phoenix and the Carpet", which is also now out on DVD.

      Mr Psammathos, the Sand Fairy in Tolkien's Roverandom is clearly modelled
      on the Psammead -- one of Tolkien's few really obvious borrowings.
      I find Derek Jacobi's reading of Roverandom for Harper Audio quite delightful.
    • John D Rateliff
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 14, 2006
        On Dec 13, 2006, at 9:52 PM, lakowskir wrote:
        > the film about James Barrie and the making
        > of Peter Pan whose title I forget.

        FINDING NEVERLAND. Good movie, and a much more sympathetic portrait
        than I gather is the case in Birkin's book J. M. BARRIE AND THE LOST
        BOYS.

        --JDR