Re: General

  • Jim Bohannon
    Message 1 of 20 , Jun 14, 1999
      FrMacKen@... wrote:

      > From: FrMacKen@...
      >
      > Jim,
      > I can't believe the amount of email I have received by my query.

      Hey Ron, it looks like our naive questions helped bring the list
      wonderfully to life! I'm glad you posted something.

      > I am not a great devotee of Mr. Lewis. I do know that Messrs. Tolkien and Lewis
      > were part of a literary group formed in University called the Inklings.

      Yes, they were part of the group known as the Inklings. C. S. Lewis
      claims to have been influenced by George MacDonald. Yes there is
      significant interconnection between Tolkein and Lewis. Please, give
      them a try. I have to admit I am excited after learning on this list
      about the production of a movie series of Tolkein's "Lord of the
      Rings." I don't generally get very excited about movie news -- but I am
      excited about this!

      > My own forays into fantasy include authors such as Jane Yolen, Charles DeLint, and
      > Tanith Lee...Terri Windling from Tor Books has been a good soul with whom I have
      > conversed at times.

      I am familiar with Tanith Lee and Terri Windling. Just curious, aren't
      these authors associated more with the contemporary horror genre? I
      would really like to learn more about their work. Many thanks!

      Blessings,
      Jim
    • LeslieJ55@xxx.xxx
      Message 2 of 20 , Jun 15, 1999
        In a message dated 6/13/99 11:09:33 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
        bohannon@... writes:

        > I am also interested in expanding my contact with the work of George
        > MacDonald. I own copies of "Phantastes", "Lilith", and "The Princess
        > and the Goblin", in addition to marking web sites with e-texts. Any
        > suggestions on the best way to proceed?
        >
        > Blessings,
        >
        > Jim Bohannon
        > Milledgeville, Georgia
        Jim,
        when you finish Lilith let me know. Most "Mythopoeic" book I ever read.

        Leslie Maloney

        A hobbit aging, stumbly, seeking,
        seeking grace, and most of all a nice cuppa tea, a little biscuit or cake,
        and some good company.
        Damn, Virginia is boring.

        (excuse the mumblings. Just an aging old Mythie feeling lonely)
      • LeslieJ55@xxx.xxx
        Message 3 of 20 , Jun 15, 1999
          So what have you all to say on Lewis, or Tolkien, Or Williams or MacDonald?
          give out discussion, we are here to Discuss.

          Leslie Maloney,
          Hampton, VA
        • Stolzi@xxx.xxx
          Message 4 of 20 , Jun 15, 1999
            In a message dated 6/15/99 6:52:30 PM Central Daylight Time,
            LeslieJ55@... writes:

            > old Mythie feeling lonely

            Can you come to the Mythcon in Milwaukee this year, Leslie? Love to see you
            there.

            Mary S
          • Diane Baker
            Message 5 of 20 , Jun 15, 1999
              LeslieJ55@... wrote:

              > From: LeslieJ55@...
              >
              > In a message dated 6/13/99 11:09:33 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
              > bohannon@... writes:
              >
              > > I am also interested in expanding my contact with the work of George
              > > MacDonald. I own copies of "Phantastes", "Lilith", and "The Princess
              > > and the Goblin", in addition to marking web sites with e-texts. Any
              > > suggestions on the best way to proceed?
              > >
              > > Blessings,
              > >
              > > Jim Bohannon
              > > Milledgeville, Georgia
              > Jim,
              > when you finish Lilith let me know. Most "Mythopoeic" book I ever read.
              >
              > Leslie Maloney
              >
              > A hobbit aging, stumbly, seeking,
              > seeking grace, and most of all a nice cuppa tea, a little biscuit or cake,
              > and some good company.
              > Damn, Virginia is boring.
              >
              > (excuse the mumblings. Just an aging old Mythie feeling lonely)

              Leslie:

              I know e-mail doesn't quite fill the bill of a personal confab, but
              maybe being on the mythsoc list will help.

              Another aging hobbit
              with a penchant for Earl Grey.
            • Stolzi@xxx.xxx
              Message 6 of 20 , Jun 16, 1999
                LeslieJ55@... writes:

                > > I am also interested in expanding my contact with the work of George
                > > MacDonald.

                There's a company out there which is republishing his works [and NOT
                simplifying and shortening them, as some Christian publishers have done] at
                quite reasonable prices. Anybody have their name and address? I know they
                were at the dealers' table at the last Mythcon.

                Mary S
              • Wayne G. Hammond
                Message 7 of 20 , Jun 16, 1999
                  Mary wrote:

                  >> > I am also interested in expanding my contact with the work of George
                  >> > MacDonald.
                  >
                  >There's a company out there which is republishing his works [and NOT
                  >simplifying and shortening them, as some Christian publishers have done] at
                  >quite reasonable prices. Anybody have their name and address? I know they
                  >were at the dealers' table at the last Mythcon.

                  It's:

                  Johannesen Printing and Publishing
                  P.O. Box 24
                  Whitethorn, CA 95589

                  Also on the Web at <www.johannesen.com>.

                  Wayne Hammond
                • Stolzi@xxx.xxx
                  Message 8 of 20 , Jun 16, 1999

                    Message 9 of 20 , Jun 18, 1999
                      Jim Bohannon wrote:

                      > From: Jim Bohannon <bohannon@...>
                      >
                      > FrMacKen@... wrote:
                      > >
                      > > From: FrMacKen@...
                      > >
                      > I have to admit I am excited after learning on this list
                      > about the production of a movie series of Tolkein's "Lord of the
                      > Rings." I don't generally get very excited about movie news -- but I am excited about this!

                      I hope that the film turns out well, but other productions of LOTR were
                      so dreadful that I'm quite wary. I'll check out the movie sites, and
                      see what they're doing so far. Maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised.

                      > My own forays into fantasy include authors such as Jane Yolen,
                      > Charles DeLint, and Tanith Lee...Terri Windling from Tor Books has
                      > been a good soul with whom I have conversed at times.

                      I've read Tanith Lee and enjoyed her work, esp. earlier things, *The
                      Electric Forest* in particular. She's gone over to horror (fine with
                      me), but also has some interesting SF. Windling's a fine editor, and I
                      enjoyed her *Wood Wife.* I'm pleased to say that I'm enjoying Charles
                      De Lint's *Someplace to Be Flying,* btw. Am about halfway through. I
                      like the characters, and am enjoying the conception of the animal
                      people; he does well to keep the medicine lands in the background (so
                      far), and it seems much lighter in tone than either *Trader* or *Memory
                      and
                      Dream.* ---djb.

                      > Blessings,
                      > Jim
                    • Diane Baker
                      Message 10 of 20 , Jun 18, 1999
                        LeslieJ55@... wrote:

                        > From: LeslieJ55@...
                        >
                        > So what have you all to say on Lewis, or Tolkien, Or Williams or MacDonald?
                        > give out discussion, we are here to Discuss.
                        >
                        > Leslie Maloney,
                        > Hampton, VA

                        Sounds like an essay question. Is this a test? :)

                        Seems we need a topic. OK, if Lewis (suburban), Williams (city), and
                        Tolkien (rural) were different because of their orientation toward
                        cities, rural country side or suburbs, what unites them in terms of
                        geography? ---djb.