Re: [mythsoc] Tepper & others

  • Berni Phillips
    Message 1 of 13 , Jul 1, 2000
      >From: ERATRIANO@...

      >So, tell us about her appearance at the Con, don't be such a tease...

      Tepper's speech had nothing to do with mythopoiec fantasy so I won't
      say anything about it here on the list. I'd be glad to tell you in
      a private e-mail.

      >What was the one, either Tepper or maybe McKillip or ? about the girl who
      >was, sorry, yes, raped by her father, then goes to live in the wilderness
      >wtih her hound and eventually triumphs as a quasi-myth-fulfilling woman?
      >That had some wonderful moments.

      That was Robin McKinley's _Deerskin_, another one that was too intense for
      me. It did at least follow the fairy tale original moderately well.

      >Lizzie

      Berni
    • Berni Phillips
      Message 2 of 13 , Jul 1, 2000
        >From: ERATRIANO@...

        >I was horrified at first, especially the miscarriage was gross, but believe
        >that in the long run it redeemed itself as a work of art. Hm, and I am
        >mixing up Robin McKinley's _Beauty_ with Tepper's version. I don't think
        >I've read Tepper's. It's McKinley's version that I remember so fondly.
        >
        >Lizzie

        They're really, *really* different!

        Berni
      • Diane Joy Baker
        Message 3 of 13 , Jul 2, 2000
          Message 4 of 13 , Jul 3, 2000

            <<>From: ERATRIANO@...

            >I was horrified at first, especially the miscarriage was gross, but believe
            >that in the long run it redeemed itself as a work of art. Hm, and I am
            >mixing up Robin McKinley's _Beauty_ with Tepper's version. I don't think
            >I've read Tepper's. It's McKinley's version that I remember so fondly.
            >
            >Lizzie

            They're really, *really* different!

            Berni

            Besides which, the "Beauty" in Tepper's novel is meant to be Sleeping Beauty,
            not Beauty and the Beast.
            Alexei
          • ERATRIANO@aol.com
            Message 5 of 13 , Jul 3, 2000
              In a message dated 07/03/2000 10:47:58 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
              alexeik@... writes:

              << Besides which, the "Beauty" in Tepper's novel is meant to be Sleeping
              Beauty,
              not Beauty and the Beast. >>
              Oh, okay. Well, maybe I can redeem myself a little by passing on the
              delightful sort of modernday not so mythical retelling of Beauty and the
              Beast in _Sometimes the Soul: Two Novellas of Sicily," by Gioia Timpanelli.
              It's called "Rusina, Not Quite in Love."

              Lizzie
            • ERATRIANO@aol.com
              Message 6 of 13 , Jul 10, 2000
                In a message dated 07/01/2000 10:48:29 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
                bernip@... writes:

                << That was Robin McKinley's _Deerskin_, another one that was too intense for
                me. It did at least follow the fairy tale original moderately well. >>

                Oh, wait a minute.. there was an original fairy tale? Where did it come
                from? Another new one on me.

                Lizzie, doing a doubletake
              • David Lenander
                Message 7 of 13 , Jul 11, 2000
                  The original fairy tale is usually translated as "Donkey Skin." Apparently,
                  McKinley thought deerskin more elegant and appropriate for her story. But there
                  are a number of variations retold in various places.

                  ERATRIANO@... wrote:

                  > In a message dated 07/01/2000 10:48:29 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
                  > bernip@... writes:
                  >
                  > << That was Robin McKinley's _Deerskin_, another one that was too intense for
                  > me. It did at least follow the fairy tale original moderately well. >>
                  >
                  > Oh, wait a minute.. there was an original fairy tale? Where did it come
                  > from? Another new one on me.
                  >
                  > Lizzie, doing a doubletake

                  > Life's too short to send boring email. Let SuperSig come to the rescue.

                  David Lenander,

                • alexeik@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jul 11, 2000
                    In a message dated 7/11/0 4:07:44 PM, David Lenander wrote:

                    <<The original fairy tale is usually translated as "Donkey Skin.">>

                    It's Perrault's _Peau d'âne_.
                    Alexei
                  • Berni Phillips
                    Message 9 of 13 , Jul 11, 2000
                      >From: ERATRIANO@...

                      >In a message dated 07/01/2000 10:48:29 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
                      >bernip@... writes:
                      >
                      ><< That was Robin McKinley's _Deerskin_, another one that was too intense for
                      > me. It did at least follow the fairy tale original moderately well. >>
                      >
                      >Oh, wait a minute.. there was an original fairy tale? Where did it come
                      >from? Another new one on me.
                      >
                      >Lizzie, doing a doubletake

                      Donkeyskin, I believe, is the original fairy tale. I don't remember
                      if it's a German or French, but it's not hard to find.

                      Berni
                    • Madame K
                      Message 10 of 13 , Jul 12, 2000
                        Those who have only read the bowdlerized English language versions of
                        "Donkey Skin" may well be surprised at the intensity of McKinley's
                        "Deerskin". The original French tale features incestual and scatalogical
                        elements with which anglo cultures are very uncomfortable in traditional
                        children's literature. Despite being based on a fairy tale and despite
                        featuring McKinley's signature beautifully realized relationships between
                        people and animals, "Deerskin" is most certainly not a children's book.
                        Parts of it were harrowing to read, but I found the story as a whole very
                        rewarding.

                        Mary Jo