[mythsoc] Tom Bombadil

  • Diane Joy Baker
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 9, 2006
      I've always liked Tom; the purpose for him (as I see it) was to provide a place of safety for the Hobbits after considerable danger, have Frodo encounter and contemplate someone who is truly one with nature, and one with his own nature, and to show that the Ring is unimportant to some people, not even a temptation to someone like Tom. You'd have to be someone like Tom Bombadil to do that little trick, though; even Gandalf couldn't do that one.

      Though I don't claim to speak for JRRT, that's how I see the function of his character. ---djb

      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 11, 2006
        There's a very good article on Tom Bombadil in the current issue of
        Mythlore which addresses a lot of the ideas that have come up in this
        discussion: "Bombadil's Role in The Lord of the Rings" by Michael
        Treschow and Mark Duckworth, Mythlore 25:1/2 (#95/96), 175-196. I highly
        recommend it.

        Janet Brennan Croft

        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 13, 2006
          So do I; I enjoyed it very much. Hope to get my membership in so I can enjoy the NEXT Mythlore. ---djb