Re: [mythsoc] Re: the book

  • David Emerson
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 9, 2006
      >From: Walkermonk@...
      >
      >Personally, I think that Tolkien must have slipped into an LSD-inspired coma
      >and then written Tom Bombadil in that tripped-out state. But that's just me .

      Not just you. The long-ago editors of the Harvard Lampoon picked up on that same cosmic vibe when they satirized T.B. as "Tim Benzedrino".

      emerdavid

      PeoplePC Online
      A better way to Internet
      http://www.peoplepc.com
    • Walter Padgett
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 9, 2006
        Was Tolkien an addict? Is that what's being suggested?

        No-- I guess not. But he certainly liked his tobacco. That's for sure.

        Indeed, it seems like he was a beer and tobacco man.

        I wonder if he used any other medicinal drugs to treat the physical and
        mental maladies which must have caused him some discomfort.

        Doesn't Garth mention a treatment for trench fever? I don't remember for
        sure, but he should have if he didn't (Garth).

        Let me see if I can find his book... yes. It's at the bottom-- near the
        bottom-- of a stack under a shelf. I'm not looking it up now.

        Someone else knows? The question of whether Tolkien used LSD or anything
        else? The question, was it asked in Garth's or Carpenter's analysis? How
        about Grotta's?

        Does anyone else know?

        Whatever it was that Tolkien used, besides beer and tobacco, I wonder what
        it was.

        Thanks, Walter.

        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 9, 2006
          In a message dated 12/9/2006 1:37:55 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
          wpadgett@... writes:

          Someone else knows? The question of whether Tolkien used LSD or anything
          else? The question, was it asked in Garth's or Carpenter's analysis? How
          about Grotta's?

          There's a simple answer to this. LSD was discovered (i.e., created in a
          laboratory) in 1943. It didn't become even moderately well-known until the
          1960's. There's virtually no chance that Tolkien could have even heard of LSD
          before finishing _The Lord of the Rings_.

          No biographer of Tolkien has ever mentioned the possibility of Tolkien using
          drugs.

          People here were joking. No one actually thinks that Tolkien used LSD.
          They just thought that the Tom Bombadil episode in _The Lord of the Rings_ was
          kind of trippy.

          Wendell

        • William Cloud Hicklin
          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 9, 2006

            > >From: Walkermonk@...
            > >
            > >Personally, I think that Tolkien must have slipped into an LSD-
            inspired coma
            > >and then written Tom Bombadil in that tripped-out state. But
            that's just me .

            > Not just you. The long-ago editors of the Harvard Lampoon picked
            up on that same cosmic vibe when they satirized T.B. as "Tim
            Benzedrino".

            Hey, what do you expect from a guy (Doug Kenney) who went on to
            write Animal House?
          • William Cloud Hicklin
            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 9, 2006
              --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "Walter Padgett" <wpadgett@...>
              wrote:

              > Someone else knows? The question of whether Tolkien used LSD or
              anything
              > else? The question, was it asked in Garth's or Carpenter's
              analysis? How
              > about Grotta's?

              Like you would believe a word of Grotta's book?

              > Does anyone else know?
              >
              > Whatever it was that Tolkien used, besides beer and tobacco, I
              wonder what
              > it was.

              Erm- It was a joke, dude.

              Tolkien, a druggie?!? Not hardly. Besides its running contrary to
              everything we know about his personality and opinions, the one time
              IAO he ever mentioned drugs, it was in a decidedly disapproving way.
            • Walter Padgett
              Message 6 of 8 , Dec 9, 2006
                like alcohol and tobacco (and coffee and tea) aren't drugs? ???

              • Walkermonk@aol.com
                Message 7 of 8 , Dec 9, 2006
                  In a message dated 12/9/2006 1:07:28 PM Central Standard Time,
                  solicitr@... writes:
                  Erm- It was a joke, dude.

                  Tolkien, a druggie?!? Not hardly. Besides its running contrary to
                  everything we know about his personality and opinions, the one time
                  IAO he ever mentioned drugs, it was in a decidedly disapproving way.
                  ---------

                  Oh, good Lord, it was a joke! Maybe a bad joke, but I would never, ever think
                  that the nigh-sainted Professor, of scrupulous morality and dedicated
                  Christian faith, would take actually any sort of illegal and/or hallucinogenic drugs.
                  And certainly not write while on them.

                  To me, the feel of the whole Tom Bombadil experience is very dreamy and out
                  of sync with what happens before and after. Other scholars, one of whom I
                  respect and love (Dr. Amy Sturgis, to be specific) very much, disagree with me.
                  That chapter is part of the development of Merry's character and it shows a side
                  of the issue with the Ring that is important to know (one that, by the bye,
                  certainly wouldn't fit into Jackson's way of thinking, in that it shows most
                  emphatically that NOT everyone and everything desires the Ring). But again, to
                  me, it feels very strange and kinda trippy -- an odd little interlude surrounded
                  by some of the most fearful parts of the story (because, seriously, are the
                  hobbits ever in greater danger, even at the end?). But then, not having taken
                  LSD myself, I wouldn't actually know what a "trip" would feel like. I'm only
                  going on hearsay.

                  Again, JOKE.

                  Thanks,
                  Grace Walker Monk

                • Dean Rowley
                  Message 8 of 8 , Dec 9, 2006
                    One of my friends once said that the only thing missing from the book was a trickster figure. It immediately occurred to me that a poetry-speaking, LSD-induced, hippy-living, Maia-of-slackers being who hung out with a River Daughter and pushed around angry trees probably fills the part. Specially because in his letters Tolkien said he had no idea where Bombadil came from and he never tried to explain him other than he added something to the story.

                    Dean Rowley