Five Children and It movie

  • juliet@firinn.org
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 8, 2006
      I think someone on this list said they'd seen the 2004 film adaptation
      of _Five Children and It_. I rented it this week and found it interesting
      to compare to the book. Among the additions in the movie were a mad uncle
      in a rambling country house, a war, and a magic door leading to another world.
      To me, it looked like the filmmakers decided to add a dollop of Chronicles
      of Narnia. Are those themes more common in British children's literature than
      I realize, or were they likely lifted from Lewis?

      Julie
    • David Lenander
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 9, 2006
        That's pretty much what I had said in previously commenting on this
        film. My daughter, Cat, was furious about it. She pinned the
        additions directly to LWW, but there are elements from _Magician's
        Nephew_ and _Voyage of the Dawn Treader_, too. The nasty cousin is a
        lot like Eustace Scrubb, though he's probably worse. Cat also was
        offended that some of the lines belonging to the other children were
        appropriated to the character played by the child star, I forget his
        name, who had also appeared in several other movies, such as Peter Pan.

        As an adaptation, the earlier BBC (and Wonderworks in the U.S.)
        several part series was much better. This one had lots more money,
        however, and some of the effects are interesting, if sometimes
        appalling.

        On Dec 9, 2006, at 5:53 AM, mythsoc@yahoogroups.com wrote:

        Five Children and It movie

        Posted by: "juliet@..." juliet@... momofjillybean

        Fri Dec 8, 2006 7:51 pm (PST)

        I think someone on this list said they'd seen the 2004 film adaptation
        of _Five Children and It_. I rented it this week and found it
        interesting
        to compare to the book. Among the additions in the movie were a mad
        uncle
        in a rambling country house, a war, and a magic door leading to
        another world.
        To me, it looked like the filmmakers decided to add a dollop of
        Chronicles
        of Narnia. Are those themes more common in British children's
        literature than
        I realize, or were they likely lifted from Lewis?

        Julie

        David Lenander
        d-lena@...
        2095 Hamline Ave. N.
        Roseville, MN 55113

        651-292-8887

      • John D Rateliff
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 10, 2006
          On Dec 8, 2006, at 7:50 PM, juliet@... wrote:
          > Are those themes more common in British children's literature than
          > I realize, or were they likely lifted from Lewis?

          "turnabout is fair play?"