Literature Abuse

  • Joan Marie Verba
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 1, 2000
      Okay, I'll take the test:

      1. I have read fiction when I was depressed, or to cheer myself up.
      Yes.
      2. I have gone on reading binges of an entire book or more in a day.
      Yes.
      3. I read rapidly, often 'gulping' chapters.
      Yes.
      4. I have sometimes read early in the morning, or before work.
      Yes.
      5. I have hidden books in different places to sneak a chapter without being
      seen.
      How did you know?
      6. Sometimes I avoid friends or family obligations in order to read novels.
      True.
      7. Sometimes I re-write film or television dialog as the characters speak.
      True.
      8. I am unable to enjoy myself with others unless there is a book nearby.
      Sometimes.
      9. At a party, I will often slip off unnoticed to read.
      Heck, yes.
      10. Reading has made me seek haunts and companions which I would otherwise
      not choose.
      Yes, and they're better companions than the ones I would have been with
      otherwise!
      11. I have neglected personal hygiene or household chores until I
      had finished a novel.
      Yes.
      12. I have spent money meant for necessities on books instead.
      Heck, yes.
      13. I have attempted to check out more library books than
      permitted.
      True.
      14. Most of my friends are heavy fiction readers.
      Yes.
      15. I have sometimes passed out after a night of heavy reading.
      Yes.
      16. I have suffered 'blackouts' or memory loss from a bout of reading.
      Not that I can remember.... :-) ;-)
      17. I have wept, become angry or irrational because of something
      I read.
      True.
      18. I have sometimes wished I did not read so much.
      Never. I often think I read too little.
      19. Sometimes I think my fiction reading is out of control.
      No way.

      If you answered 'yes' to three or more of these questions, you
      may be a literature abuser.

      Hurrah!

      Affirmative responses to five or more indicates a serious
      problem.

      Oh, I'm definitely in the "serious" category.

      Joan

      Joan Marie Verba verba001@...
      List Administrator for DocEx, Mythsoc, MNSCBWI and
      MNSCREENW lists
    • Stolzi@aol.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 2, 2000
        Well, I can remember getting up as a kid, getting ready to go to school.

        The glasses went on first. The book was laid out, open, on the dresser while
        I got into my underwear and other items, bending over and reading.

        Then it was time for shoes and socks: I sat down in my chair, and the book
        was transferred to the floor beside me, so I could grab a few more sentences
        while putting =those= on.

        They didn't let me bring it to breakfast >:(

        Mary S
      • qiena@cs.com
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 3, 2000
          I have been known to read while walking down the street, taking a shower
          (tricky), and waiting at stoplights. I promise I don't read while actually
          driving, but admit to the temptation.

          Sharon

          :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
          Christian Realists~ x-real.firinn.org
          :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
          "The Man who cannot wonder, who does not habitually wonder, is but a Pair of
          Spectacles behind which
          there is no Eye." ~Thomas Carlyle
        • Juliet Blosser
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 3, 2000
            On Sun, Jul 02, 2000 at 09:39:04PM -0400, Stolzi@... wrote:
            > Well, I can remember getting up as a kid, getting ready to go to school.
            >
            > The glasses went on first. The book was laid out, open, on the dresser while
            > I got into my underwear and other items, bending over and reading.
            >
            > Then it was time for shoes and socks: I sat down in my chair, and the book
            > was transferred to the floor beside me, so I could grab a few more sentences
            > while putting =those= on.
            >
            > They didn't let me bring it to breakfast >:(

            I remember my mom yelling at me for reading while walking. "You're
            going to trip and fall!" "You're going to ruin your eyes!" "You're
            going to run into someone!" Fortunately I never had a problem with
            any of those things :)

            I also remember reading with a flashlight under my blankets in bed
            when I was supposed to be asleep. Many times I stayed up almost all
            night, always being careful to aim the flashlight beam away from the
            crack under the door. Since my husband is a fellow literature abuser,
            I no longer have to sneak around. In fact, he was the last one in
            our house to stay up all night finishing a book (one of the Ender
            series).
          • Lisa Deutsch Harrigan
            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 12, 2000
              You knew you were sending this to an e-list that is an enabler,
              didn't you? <vbeg> Good.

              That being said. About the heredity problem. Yep, did that. My
              daughter is also an LA, and she is given the nasty habit to her
              children. The children's books are overtaking their small bedroom.
              My 5 year old grandson reads to his 2 year old brother. Her husband
              is a big reader, too.

              My 11 year old son has to clean all the books out of his bed once a
              week, and we gave up and gave him a reading light he can turn off
              from bed. At ten o'clock, we advise him of the time, get a "Do I
              gotta?" whine, and then, usually, the light goes out. Sometimes we
              give him to the end of the chapter if he only has a page or two.

              As for the adiction list at the end, guilty as charged <g>. Of
              course, most of the parties I go to are at houses of people who have
              books. Taking them off of bookcases and reading is not unexpected.

              Our house is wall to wall to ceiling books, with the occasional spot
              of art work.

              Just back from our trip to Hawaii. Yep, bought more books. And am
              reading and replying to this from e-groups. (slowww reading).

              Mythically yours,

              Lisa