Jordan, GRRM etc

  • Steve Savile
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 2, 2000
      I read with interest your comments on Jordan's ever increasing number of books, but have a vague recollection that in the UK it was announced by Orbit as being a 10 volume epic from day one. The interesting thing about comparrison between GRRM and Jordan is that George Martin has stated from the very beginning that Song of Ice and Fire was a 6 book sequence but over the last three or four months I've been chatting with his editor at Bantam Spectra who is a dear friend of mine, and she's pretty sure that 6 books is 3 books too few to tell the story as it was originally proposed -- hence book three Storm of Swords is 1500 pages long. GRRM is determined to bring the sequence to a conclusion as it was originally promised. It also helps that GRRM can actually write.

      I don't know Jordan's editors but I do know that the story of the hotel and every single mss page being edited insitu and sent straight to the printers is true. It's not that he writers slowly so much as he's as bored with the job as we are. He's not writing every day like he used to, the motivation is gone, so I sincerely doubt he's dragging the Wheel of Time books out now. Admittedly he lost me along the way, but a friend of mine finished book 7 and remarked that finally he could see where ti was going and that it would be finished by 10, but that the last three books would be the *real* trilogy and the rest was so much scene setting, weather watching and window dressing.

      Still, without Jordan and Eddings, Donaldson and Brooks we'd be looking at a similar situation to what has happened in the horror genre. The very good thing is that these best selling fantasists haven't distanced themselves from the genre that brought there success as have King, Koontz, and Rice. Instead these boys are still championing the cause. We may not like everything they do, and Feist may be flogging a dead horse with his Krondor: The Betrayal and Krondor: The Assassins, but Eddings is moving on -- amazing but true, a single volume story out in hardcover this month, new world, but distinctively Eddings -- Donaldson is finishing up his latest Reed Stevens crime novel and then will be embarking upon a new series of fantasies (rumoured to be Covanent 3) Fiest is about to launch a new series set in distant isles of Midkemia so none of the old characters will be in evidence the fantasy genre is still riding that cyclical crest of a wave that its been on for over 10 years... why? Because the best sellers are evolving perhaps? Brooks has moved aside from Shanara and is doing is semi-horror stuff... Williams went vr...

      I find this whole idea fascinating... by the way, I love what you've said about the numinus and the mystery of magic... has me thinking about books l loved as a child, like Elidor...

      Steve

      Visit http://www.sufferers.cjb.net online presence of the first British E-serial novel, The Sufferer's Song, by Steve Savile