Re: [mythsoc] Hogwarts' locales

  • Ted Sherman
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 1, 2000
      Yes, both the Winchester house and Hearst Castle would be good locations. What
      about the resort hotel where The Shining was filmed? From the outside, at least,
      that would be impressive.

      By the way, if I remember my San Jose history correctly (having been born and
      raised there), Mrs. Winchester was in a tower of the house when the San
      Francisco earthquake of '06 hit. The tower collapsed, killing her.

      The brightly colored paint on the outside of the WH, however, would not be
      appropriate. Hogwarts needs to be a dingy gray.

      Ted

      Dr. Theodore James Sherman, Editor
      Mythopoeic Literature
      Box X041, Department of English
      Middle Tennessee State University
      Murfreesboro, TN 37132
      615 898-5836; FAX 615 898-5098
      tsherman@...
      tedsherman@...
    • David S. Bratman
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 1, 2000
        On Sat, 1 Jul 2000, Ted Sherman wrote:

        > By the way, if I remember my San Jose history correctly (having been born and
        > raised there), Mrs. Winchester was in a tower of the house when the San
        > Francisco earthquake of '06 hit. The tower collapsed, killing her.

        She was in her bedroom, or some such room, and when the quake shifted the
        house, the door got stuck and it took some hours for her to be rescued.
        Mrs Winchester was a nervous and superstitutious person at the best of
        times, and this didn't help.

        She died of natural causes several years later.

        David Bratman
        - not responsible for the following earthquake -