Re: [mythsoc] Tepper & others

  • Paul F. Labaki
    Message 1 of 13 , Jul 1, 2000

      > What was the one, either Tepper or maybe McKillip or ? about the girl who
      > was, sorry, yes, raped by her father, then goes to live in the wilderness
      > wtih her hound and eventually triumphs as a quasi-myth-fulfilling woman?
      > That had some wonderful moments.
      >
      > Lizzie

      Lizzie,

      You're recollecting Robin McKinley's "Deerskin." I was greatly moved by
      this book when I read it, but I've read several reviews and comments by
      people who were "disturbed" or "upset" by the book, especially the violence
      perpetrated on the main character which starts things moving. I don't
      consume much violence on TV, in movies or in my reading (I've only seen the
      local news on TV 3 or 4 times in the last ten years because I don't need the
      aggravation it adds to daily life) so I doubt that I have become
      desensitized to it, but I wasn't horrified as some others were.
      What did you think?

    • ERATRIANO@aol.com
      Message 2 of 13 , Jul 1, 2000
        In a message dated 07/01/2000 10:04:07 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
        sheik@... writes:

        << What did you think? >>
        I was horrified at first, especially the miscarriage was gross, but believe
        that in the long run it redeemed itself as a work of art. Hm, and I am
        mixing up Robin McKinley's _Beauty_ with Tepper's version. I don't think
        I've read Tepper's. It's McKinley's version that I remember so fondly.

        Lizzie
      • Berni Phillips
        Message 3 of 13 , Jul 1, 2000
          >From: ERATRIANO@...

          >So, tell us about her appearance at the Con, don't be such a tease...

          Tepper's speech had nothing to do with mythopoiec fantasy so I won't
          say anything about it here on the list. I'd be glad to tell you in
          a private e-mail.

          >What was the one, either Tepper or maybe McKillip or ? about the girl who
          >was, sorry, yes, raped by her father, then goes to live in the wilderness
          >wtih her hound and eventually triumphs as a quasi-myth-fulfilling woman?
          >That had some wonderful moments.

          That was Robin McKinley's _Deerskin_, another one that was too intense for
          me. It did at least follow the fairy tale original moderately well.

          >Lizzie

          Berni
        • Berni Phillips
          Message 4 of 13 , Jul 1, 2000
            >From: ERATRIANO@...

            >I was horrified at first, especially the miscarriage was gross, but believe
            >that in the long run it redeemed itself as a work of art. Hm, and I am
            >mixing up Robin McKinley's _Beauty_ with Tepper's version. I don't think
            >I've read Tepper's. It's McKinley's version that I remember so fondly.
            >
            >Lizzie

            They're really, *really* different!

            Berni
          • Diane Joy Baker
            Message 5 of 13 , Jul 2, 2000
              Message 6 of 13 , Jul 3, 2000

                <<>From: ERATRIANO@...

                >I was horrified at first, especially the miscarriage was gross, but believe
                >that in the long run it redeemed itself as a work of art. Hm, and I am
                >mixing up Robin McKinley's _Beauty_ with Tepper's version. I don't think
                >I've read Tepper's. It's McKinley's version that I remember so fondly.
                >
                >Lizzie

                They're really, *really* different!

                Berni

                Besides which, the "Beauty" in Tepper's novel is meant to be Sleeping Beauty,
                not Beauty and the Beast.
                Alexei
              • ERATRIANO@aol.com
                Message 7 of 13 , Jul 3, 2000
                  In a message dated 07/03/2000 10:47:58 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
                  alexeik@... writes:

                  << Besides which, the "Beauty" in Tepper's novel is meant to be Sleeping
                  Beauty,
                  not Beauty and the Beast. >>
                  Oh, okay. Well, maybe I can redeem myself a little by passing on the
                  delightful sort of modernday not so mythical retelling of Beauty and the
                  Beast in _Sometimes the Soul: Two Novellas of Sicily," by Gioia Timpanelli.
                  It's called "Rusina, Not Quite in Love."

                  Lizzie
                • ERATRIANO@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jul 10, 2000
                    In a message dated 07/01/2000 10:48:29 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
                    bernip@... writes:

                    << That was Robin McKinley's _Deerskin_, another one that was too intense for
                    me. It did at least follow the fairy tale original moderately well. >>

                    Oh, wait a minute.. there was an original fairy tale? Where did it come
                    from? Another new one on me.

                    Lizzie, doing a doubletake
                  • David Lenander
                    Message 9 of 13 , Jul 11, 2000
                      The original fairy tale is usually translated as "Donkey Skin." Apparently,
                      McKinley thought deerskin more elegant and appropriate for her story. But there
                      are a number of variations retold in various places.

                      ERATRIANO@... wrote:

                      > In a message dated 07/01/2000 10:48:29 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
                      > bernip@... writes:
                      >
                      > << That was Robin McKinley's _Deerskin_, another one that was too intense for
                      > me. It did at least follow the fairy tale original moderately well. >>
                      >
                      > Oh, wait a minute.. there was an original fairy tale? Where did it come
                      > from? Another new one on me.
                      >
                      > Lizzie, doing a doubletake

                      > Life's too short to send boring email. Let SuperSig come to the rescue.

                      David Lenander,

                    • alexeik@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 13 , Jul 11, 2000
                        In a message dated 7/11/0 4:07:44 PM, David Lenander wrote:

                        <<The original fairy tale is usually translated as "Donkey Skin.">>

                        It's Perrault's _Peau d'âne_.
                        Alexei
                      • Berni Phillips
                        Message 11 of 13 , Jul 11, 2000
                          >From: ERATRIANO@...

                          >In a message dated 07/01/2000 10:48:29 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
                          >bernip@... writes:
                          >
                          ><< That was Robin McKinley's _Deerskin_, another one that was too intense for
                          > me. It did at least follow the fairy tale original moderately well. >>
                          >
                          >Oh, wait a minute.. there was an original fairy tale? Where did it come
                          >from? Another new one on me.
                          >
                          >Lizzie, doing a doubletake

                          Donkeyskin, I believe, is the original fairy tale. I don't remember
                          if it's a German or French, but it's not hard to find.

                          Berni
                        • Madame K
                          Message 12 of 13 , Jul 12, 2000
                            Those who have only read the bowdlerized English language versions of
                            "Donkey Skin" may well be surprised at the intensity of McKinley's
                            "Deerskin". The original French tale features incestual and scatalogical
                            elements with which anglo cultures are very uncomfortable in traditional
                            children's literature. Despite being based on a fairy tale and despite
                            featuring McKinley's signature beautifully realized relationships between
                            people and animals, "Deerskin" is most certainly not a children's book.
                            Parts of it were harrowing to read, but I found the story as a whole very
                            rewarding.

                            Mary Jo