Re: [mythsoc] Hogwarts' locales

  • Diane Joy Baker
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 1, 2000
      From: Berni Phillips <bernip@...>
      To: <mythsoc@egroups.com>
      Sent: Friday, June 30, 2000 7:54 PM
      Subject: Re: [mythsoc] Harry Potter

      > >From: Stolzi@...
      >
      > >Officials at Britain's Canterbury Cathedral rejected requests from film
      > >giants Warner Brothers to shoot scenes of the upcoming Harry Potter movie
      in
      > >the historic location -because of the script's pagan imagery. The gothic
      > >cathedral was to be the setting for Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and
      > >Wizardry but officials were worried the move might offend their
      parishioners.

      > I don't see Hogwarts as gothic. I see it as more of a Winchester Mystery
      > House but even bigger. (I bet they could film it there! For those of you
      > who don't know of it, it was built by the widow of the Winchester rifle
      > maker
      > who thought she was being haunted by the ghosts of the Indians killed by
      > her husband's guns. She was evidently told by a psychic that as long as
      > she kept building, she wouldn't die (or something like that). She kept
      > carpenters working around the clock for years, so the house is a
      > Victorian-era
      > hodge-podge and includes things like staircases that lead to nowhere.
      It's
      > also the setting for Michaela Roessner's _Vanishing Point_. It's right
      here
      > in little old San Jose. Those of you coming to next year's Mythcon in
      > Berkeley
      > might want to take a trip south (about an hour if it's not commute time)
      > see
      > it.)
      >
      > Berni

      I'll weigh in and say that Winchester House is a neat place. I went there
      while I visted friends out West, and enjoyed it immensely. I think the
      stained glass window area (they change them every once in a while so all of
      it can be displayed) is wonderful.

      Wonderful summary of the history, Berni---some of the structural oddities
      also came from the fact that the woman was very short. There are tiny
      stairs that have very long ramps, and very small risers, because she could
      not negotiate ordinary stairs. There were also ordinary steps that led
      nowhere. I particularly liked the glassed in structure on the second floor,
      which one had to circle around---and you overlooked nothing below. It was
      built to confuse the ghosts. The long sinks (placed for a short person; I
      think she was 4'10") also stay in my memory.

      Hearst Castle could be an interesting locale for some places in Hogwarts
      (I'm thinking of some interiors, esp. the medieval dining hall for the
      opening dinner), but logistics for filming would take wizards to get the
      equipment up there. It's *really* isolated! I'm sure there'd be some
      marvelous Victorian homes that would work for exteriors. ---djb.

    • Ted Sherman
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 1, 2000
        Yes, both the Winchester house and Hearst Castle would be good locations. What
        about the resort hotel where The Shining was filmed? From the outside, at least,
        that would be impressive.

        By the way, if I remember my San Jose history correctly (having been born and
        raised there), Mrs. Winchester was in a tower of the house when the San
        Francisco earthquake of '06 hit. The tower collapsed, killing her.

        The brightly colored paint on the outside of the WH, however, would not be
        appropriate. Hogwarts needs to be a dingy gray.

        Ted

        Dr. Theodore James Sherman, Editor
        Mythopoeic Literature
        Box X041, Department of English
        Middle Tennessee State University
        Murfreesboro, TN 37132
        615 898-5836; FAX 615 898-5098
        tsherman@...
        tedsherman@...
      • David S. Bratman
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 1, 2000
          On Sat, 1 Jul 2000, Ted Sherman wrote:

          > By the way, if I remember my San Jose history correctly (having been born and
          > raised there), Mrs. Winchester was in a tower of the house when the San
          > Francisco earthquake of '06 hit. The tower collapsed, killing her.

          She was in her bedroom, or some such room, and when the quake shifted the
          house, the door got stuck and it took some hours for her to be rescued.
          Mrs Winchester was a nervous and superstitutious person at the best of
          times, and this didn't help.

          She died of natural causes several years later.

          David Bratman
          - not responsible for the following earthquake -