RE: [mythsoc] Reservoir Hobbits Weep - film at eleven

  • David Emerson
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 5, 2006
      >From: David Bratman <dbratman@...>
      >
      >I haven't seen Tarantino. It was Nolan's "Memento" that revealed to me
      >that the passage of time can be expressed in film in far more complex and
      >flexible ways than I had thought even remotely possible.

      Another excellent example.

      >For yet another way to play with time on film, see the episode "Out of Gas"
      >of Joss Whedon's "Firefly." This features jumping back and forth among
      >three chronologically distinct storylines happening in the same physical
      >space, with the transitions between them sometimes made not by cuts but by
      >panning (from a character in one storyline standing over here to a
      >character in another storyline standing over there - a technique also
      >brilliantly used in the flashbacks in Sayles's "Lone Star", by the way).
      >"Out of Gas" offers no expository explanation of the three storylines;
      >furthermore, the situation at the start of no. 3 is a mystery explained
      >only when you get to the end of no. 2.

      I just watched "Out of Gas" two nights ago, and even given that it was at least my 3rd or 4th time seeing it, I am still impressed with how brilliantly it was constructed.

      I'm also a big fan of _Lone Star_. It showcases one of Sayles's strong points: the ability to weave many characters' storylines into a cohesive whole. That also would have been a necessary talent for anyone filming LOTR.

      emerdavid

      PeoplePC Online
      A better way to Internet
      http://www.peoplepc.com