Tepper & others

  • ERATRIANO@aol.com
    Message 1 of 13 , Jul 1, 2000
      I like Tepper, but haven't read them all, nor even heard of _Dream Tree_.
      Waht can I say, I'm out of the flow. Often her stuff is kinda raw to read,
      and then haunting despite itself. I found that especially true of, I think
      they were called _Shadow's End_ (I don't think that's quite right, the one,
      ew I can't even describe it), and _Rage of Angels_. Titles are probably
      close and not perfect. Also _The Gate to Women's Country_ was interesting
      and so was the Rise and Fall one. Sorry for the vague titles.... She has
      her own mythos, even if it rubs us the wrong way. And I loved _Beauty_, read
      it too many years ago to remember the details.

      So, tell us about her appearance at the Con, don't be such a tease...

      What was the one, either Tepper or maybe McKillip or ? about the girl who
      was, sorry, yes, raped by her father, then goes to live in the wilderness
      wtih her hound and eventually triumphs as a quasi-myth-fulfilling woman?
      That had some wonderful moments.

      Getting a little off the mythopoeic route aren't we, and can't be helped
      right? Some kinda more uplifting books, with horses in them for those who
      like horses, are _A Wind in Cairo_ by I forget whom, and then _The Heavenly
      Horse from the Outermost West_ and its sequel _Piper at the Gate_ by I
      believe someone Stanton?

      I love to see all these titles being discussed, and sorry my returns are so
      fuzzy. Most of my library is still in the attic (although most of the
      Celtic/Welsh stuff is now down here, still in boxes but able to be dug
      through to look things up). Currently I'm terribly nostalgic over the
      endless reading time of summers when I was younger. And when the kids get
      older I hope to read again... if I remember how, LOL

      Lizzie
    • Paul F. Labaki
      Message 2 of 13 , Jul 1, 2000

        > What was the one, either Tepper or maybe McKillip or ? about the girl who
        > was, sorry, yes, raped by her father, then goes to live in the wilderness
        > wtih her hound and eventually triumphs as a quasi-myth-fulfilling woman?
        > That had some wonderful moments.
        >
        > Lizzie

        Lizzie,

        You're recollecting Robin McKinley's "Deerskin." I was greatly moved by
        this book when I read it, but I've read several reviews and comments by
        people who were "disturbed" or "upset" by the book, especially the violence
        perpetrated on the main character which starts things moving. I don't
        consume much violence on TV, in movies or in my reading (I've only seen the
        local news on TV 3 or 4 times in the last ten years because I don't need the
        aggravation it adds to daily life) so I doubt that I have become
        desensitized to it, but I wasn't horrified as some others were.
        What did you think?

      • ERATRIANO@aol.com
        Message 3 of 13 , Jul 1, 2000
          In a message dated 07/01/2000 10:04:07 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
          sheik@... writes:

          << What did you think? >>
          I was horrified at first, especially the miscarriage was gross, but believe
          that in the long run it redeemed itself as a work of art. Hm, and I am
          mixing up Robin McKinley's _Beauty_ with Tepper's version. I don't think
          I've read Tepper's. It's McKinley's version that I remember so fondly.

          Lizzie
        • Berni Phillips
          Message 4 of 13 , Jul 1, 2000
            >From: ERATRIANO@...

            >So, tell us about her appearance at the Con, don't be such a tease...

            Tepper's speech had nothing to do with mythopoiec fantasy so I won't
            say anything about it here on the list. I'd be glad to tell you in
            a private e-mail.

            >What was the one, either Tepper or maybe McKillip or ? about the girl who
            >was, sorry, yes, raped by her father, then goes to live in the wilderness
            >wtih her hound and eventually triumphs as a quasi-myth-fulfilling woman?
            >That had some wonderful moments.

            That was Robin McKinley's _Deerskin_, another one that was too intense for
            me. It did at least follow the fairy tale original moderately well.

            >Lizzie

            Berni
          • Berni Phillips
            Message 5 of 13 , Jul 1, 2000
              >From: ERATRIANO@...

              >I was horrified at first, especially the miscarriage was gross, but believe
              >that in the long run it redeemed itself as a work of art. Hm, and I am
              >mixing up Robin McKinley's _Beauty_ with Tepper's version. I don't think
              >I've read Tepper's. It's McKinley's version that I remember so fondly.
              >
              >Lizzie

              They're really, *really* different!

              Berni
            • Diane Joy Baker
              Message 6 of 13 , Jul 2, 2000
                Message 7 of 13 , Jul 3, 2000

                  <<>From: ERATRIANO@...

                  >I was horrified at first, especially the miscarriage was gross, but believe
                  >that in the long run it redeemed itself as a work of art. Hm, and I am
                  >mixing up Robin McKinley's _Beauty_ with Tepper's version. I don't think
                  >I've read Tepper's. It's McKinley's version that I remember so fondly.
                  >
                  >Lizzie

                  They're really, *really* different!

                  Berni

                  Besides which, the "Beauty" in Tepper's novel is meant to be Sleeping Beauty,
                  not Beauty and the Beast.
                  Alexei
                • ERATRIANO@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jul 3, 2000
                    In a message dated 07/03/2000 10:47:58 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
                    alexeik@... writes:

                    << Besides which, the "Beauty" in Tepper's novel is meant to be Sleeping
                    Beauty,
                    not Beauty and the Beast. >>
                    Oh, okay. Well, maybe I can redeem myself a little by passing on the
                    delightful sort of modernday not so mythical retelling of Beauty and the
                    Beast in _Sometimes the Soul: Two Novellas of Sicily," by Gioia Timpanelli.
                    It's called "Rusina, Not Quite in Love."

                    Lizzie
                  • ERATRIANO@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 13 , Jul 10, 2000
                      In a message dated 07/01/2000 10:48:29 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
                      bernip@... writes:

                      << That was Robin McKinley's _Deerskin_, another one that was too intense for
                      me. It did at least follow the fairy tale original moderately well. >>

                      Oh, wait a minute.. there was an original fairy tale? Where did it come
                      from? Another new one on me.

                      Lizzie, doing a doubletake
                    • David Lenander
                      Message 10 of 13 , Jul 11, 2000
                        The original fairy tale is usually translated as "Donkey Skin." Apparently,
                        McKinley thought deerskin more elegant and appropriate for her story. But there
                        are a number of variations retold in various places.

                        ERATRIANO@... wrote:

                        > In a message dated 07/01/2000 10:48:29 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
                        > bernip@... writes:
                        >
                        > << That was Robin McKinley's _Deerskin_, another one that was too intense for
                        > me. It did at least follow the fairy tale original moderately well. >>
                        >
                        > Oh, wait a minute.. there was an original fairy tale? Where did it come
                        > from? Another new one on me.
                        >
                        > Lizzie, doing a doubletake

                        > Life's too short to send boring email. Let SuperSig come to the rescue.

                        David Lenander,

                      • alexeik@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 13 , Jul 11, 2000
                          In a message dated 7/11/0 4:07:44 PM, David Lenander wrote:

                          <<The original fairy tale is usually translated as "Donkey Skin.">>

                          It's Perrault's _Peau d'âne_.
                          Alexei
                        • Berni Phillips
                          Message 12 of 13 , Jul 11, 2000
                            >From: ERATRIANO@...

                            >In a message dated 07/01/2000 10:48:29 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
                            >bernip@... writes:
                            >
                            ><< That was Robin McKinley's _Deerskin_, another one that was too intense for
                            > me. It did at least follow the fairy tale original moderately well. >>
                            >
                            >Oh, wait a minute.. there was an original fairy tale? Where did it come
                            >from? Another new one on me.
                            >
                            >Lizzie, doing a doubletake

                            Donkeyskin, I believe, is the original fairy tale. I don't remember
                            if it's a German or French, but it's not hard to find.

                            Berni
                          • Madame K
                            Message 13 of 13 , Jul 12, 2000
                              Those who have only read the bowdlerized English language versions of
                              "Donkey Skin" may well be surprised at the intensity of McKinley's
                              "Deerskin". The original French tale features incestual and scatalogical
                              elements with which anglo cultures are very uncomfortable in traditional
                              children's literature. Despite being based on a fairy tale and despite
                              featuring McKinley's signature beautifully realized relationships between
                              people and animals, "Deerskin" is most certainly not a children's book.
                              Parts of it were harrowing to read, but I found the story as a whole very
                              rewarding.

                              Mary Jo