Re: [mythsoc] Lawhead

  • Steve Schaper
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 30, 2000
      At 6:02 PM -0400 6/30/00, Paul F. Labaki wrote:
      >My sentiments echo Joan's exactly. I was not looking forward to reading
      >Avalon and was wonderfully surprised. It just reinforces the old saw that
      >one cannot judge a book by its cover, or at least, shouldn't.
      >
      >Peace,
      >Paul Labaki
      >
      >> Oh, I thought Avalon was just wonderful. I was very surprised it did not
      >> make the final ballot for the Mythopoeic Fantasy Adult awards. I was
      >> surprised I enjoyed Avalon so much because I read one of Lawhead's earlier
      >> works and was not impressed.
      >>
      >> Joan

      Lawhead's earliest books seem rather awful. The Paradise War series I
      enjoy. Even to re-reading. The current "Celtic Crusades" novels don't
      work so well for me. First one was on getting the Lance of Longinus
      (where did that legend arise?) the second on a fragment of the True
      Cross.

      -Steve

      sschaper@...
      members.delphi.com/sschaper/web/sschaper.html