RE: [mythsoc] Re: The Hobbits Weep -- The Boston Globe

  • Croft, Janet B.
    Message 1 of 139 , Dec 4, 2006
      I gave a talk on early film scripts to a Tolkien class the other day and
      asked what director they thought should tackle Tolkien. One of them
      said Quentin Tarantino. Just imagine.... Well, maybe not.

      Janet Brennan Croft)

      ________________________________

      Message 139 of 139 , Dec 18, 2006

        > For my part, seeing Serkis's excellent work in other films (most
        > recently"The Prestige") has made me even more appalled at his bizarre
        > goofball
        > Gollum, especially in the one place he appears directly, the flashback
        > scene with Deagol.

        I would assume, since Serkis is a very good actor, that he was playing the
        part as directed. It's an actor's job to play the character as interpreted
        and instructed by the director, and if the director wants the character
        played "goofball", that's what the actor delivers. Even so, he did an
        excellent acting job, and Gollum wasn't treated nearly as badly as Gimli
        was.

        Wil Wheaton has something to say on the subject - he repeatedly begged to be
        able to play Wesley more like a normal teenager and not "annoying boy
        genius", but was overruled.

        Mariette