Re: [mythsoc] re Tepper

  • Berni Phillips
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 30, 2000
      >From: qiena@...

      >I recently picked up Sherri S. Tepper's _Beauty_ and was absolutely
      >mesmerized by it--until she spoiled it near the end by pontificating about
      >her views on abortion and other issues. It so annoyed me. I don't want
      >*anyone* preaching at me like that, especially when I read a fantasy. Not
      >only is it insulting and condescending, but it interrupts the flow of
      >imagination.
      >
      >Note to anyone thinking I just reacted because her views don't coincide with
      >mine: I feel the same way about the brickbat method, no matter who is
      >wielding it.
      >
      >Sharon

      Nah, that's one of Tepper's biggest brickbats. I found _Beauty_ very
      frustrating. Half of it was a good book and half of it was garbage. I
      did not like the dystopian Beauty-in-the-future and her rant about horror
      writers was likewise inappropriate. If she had just stuck to a clever
      rewrite of fairy tales (I thought the Cinderella section was well done),
      it would have been good.

      Tepper's like that, though, and some of her stuff is worse. Many of her
      books boil down to female=good, male=bad. When she got to _Family Tree_,
      it looked like she'd gone down even more to animals=good, humans=bad.

      I used to enjoy Tepper a lot but it seems like she's gotten more and more
      embittered over the years. (And you should have seen her first-ever
      guest appearance at a con at WisCon some years ago. Yow!)

      Berni
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 1, 2000
        In a message dated 6/30/00 8:33:32 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
        bernip@... writes:

        << I used to enjoy Tepper a lot but it seems like she's gotten more and more
        embittered over the years. (And you should have seen her first-ever
        guest appearance at a con at WisCon some years ago. Yow!) >>

        Tepper has an interesting life story. She was born in 1929. When she was
        fifty, she hadn't published anything except a couple of poems, although she'd
        tried to write various things over the years. She then decided to get
        serious. I heard her speak in 1988, and in those nine years, she'd published
        and/or sold some incredible number of novels. (Twenty? Thirty? I forget.)
        She was speaking at a meeting of the Birmingham [England] Science Fiction
        Group. This was apparently the first talk she'd ever given to any group
        about her writing, and even this appearance was only done because she was on
        vacation and had told her publisher she could do a few signings.

        She didn't sound embittered then, just a little unhappy that she'd wasted so
        much of her life. She wanted to get as much published as possible and didn't
        want to spend any of her time on appearing at cons. What did she say at
        WisCon?