Re: [mythsoc] Lawhead

  • Berni Phillips
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 30, 2000
      >From: "Joan Marie Verba" <verba001@...>

      >Oh, I thought Avalon was just wonderful. I was very surprised it did not
      >make the final ballot for the Mythopoeic Fantasy Adult awards. I was
      >surprised I enjoyed Avalon so much because I read one of Lawhead's earlier
      >works and was not impressed.

      I enjoyed reading most of _Avalon_ but I thought it was very flawed. It
      started out well and then degraded once he actually became king. I can
      believe one, very special character being reincarnated under the
      circumstances,
      but he just threw too many at us (Jenny, Kai, and a couple of the less major
      characters). Once the Morgan le Fey character came onstage, it really got
      worse. (I read a library copy so I don't have it here to look up the
      character
      names I can't remember.)

      Berni
    • Steve Schaper
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 30, 2000
        At 6:02 PM -0400 6/30/00, Paul F. Labaki wrote:
        >My sentiments echo Joan's exactly. I was not looking forward to reading
        >Avalon and was wonderfully surprised. It just reinforces the old saw that
        >one cannot judge a book by its cover, or at least, shouldn't.
        >
        >Peace,
        >Paul Labaki
        >
        >> Oh, I thought Avalon was just wonderful. I was very surprised it did not
        >> make the final ballot for the Mythopoeic Fantasy Adult awards. I was
        >> surprised I enjoyed Avalon so much because I read one of Lawhead's earlier
        >> works and was not impressed.
        >>
        >> Joan

        Lawhead's earliest books seem rather awful. The Paradise War series I
        enjoy. Even to re-reading. The current "Celtic Crusades" novels don't
        work so well for me. First one was on getting the Lance of Longinus
        (where did that legend arise?) the second on a fragment of the True
        Cross.

        -Steve

        sschaper@...
        members.delphi.com/sschaper/web/sschaper.html