Re: About dwarves and their connection with nordic myth ...

  • Anglin Turcam
    Message 1 of 23 , Dec 2, 2006
      To William Cloud Hicklin :
      >> Could it be that you're right: these names in fact did inspire the
      Great Pyre?
      Thank's, it's perhaps after Mr John D Ratelif the only positive opinion
      about this fact. I'm very sad to not write as goodly as I want to speak
      about my point of view of my 'paradox' for the 'editorial concession'
      conceded by Pr Tolkien about his dwarves and their possible relation
      with Old norse ones. I'm afraid that I have to say that I'm not agree
      with that fact commonly accepted by all the Tolkien Community ... there
      are too much things to much details to much words that make me think
      that Tolkien did really take a lot of things from Norse Dwarves (
      perhaps even to Norse Cosmogology about them ) to speak about a
      simple 'concession'. I want to go farther than Mr Shippey did realy
      goood about them, farther than the lots of ones that speak only about
      the Names occuring in Völuspá ...

      To Jason :
      >> so I'd be curious to hear more about your work off-list (as you
      suggested it was too complicated for the list). Drop me a line if you'd
      like ...

      Check your MailBox Jason ;)

      >> I'd actually be interested in this too, I'm preparing lecture notes
      on Tolkien's dwarves for a Tolkien class I'm teaching next semester.

      I work also about other interrestings things about Tolkien's dwarves
      like death/size/women/magical object (in fact in Letters Tolkien
      says 'Magic is Art' and the dwarves are Aulë childrens ....). Did you
      read french freely ?
      I can tell you that your lecture notes can be very interresting to me
      if you can send them to my mailbox ?

      Anglin.
    • alexeik@aol.com
      Message 2 of 23 , Dec 2, 2006
        believe he cribbed the Brandybucks' names (Meriadoc,
        Gorbadoc, Saradoc) from Medieval Welsh. <<

        That, and even more from mediaeval Cornish and Breton. Alexei >
        .
        AActuaActua
      • Larry Swain
        Message 3 of 23 , Dec 4, 2006

          > I work also about other interrestings things about Tolkien's dwarves
          > like death/size/women/magical object (in fact in Letters Tolkien
          > says 'Magic is Art' and the dwarves are Aulë childrens ....). Did you
          > read french freely ?
          > I can tell you that your lecture notes can be very interresting to me
          > if you can send them to my mailbox ?
          >
          > Anglin.

          Anglin,

          I'll be happy to send them along when I've finished them, pretty basic though. And yes, I read French.

          ljs