re. About dwarves . . .

  • John D Rateliff
    Message 1 of 23 , Dec 1, 2006
      On Dec 1, 2006, at 5:26 PM, not_thou wrote:
      > Encyclopedia of Arda says, that "Dwalin" could mean "dawdler" in Old
      > Norse? And could that explain the exceptionally long life of the
      > first dwarf to appear in The Hobbit?

      I doubt it; Dvalin is one of the most famous of all dwarves in the
      Old Norse material, famed (among other things) as a great craftsman,
      and not notable for any "dawdling". In any case, the apparent
      "exceptionally long life" of Tolkien's character is I think the
      result of an error in the reckoning, not any intent on Tolkien's part
      to make him the Old Took of dwarves (that distinction belonging
      instead to Durin the First). Although, that said, it is very like
      Tolkien to add things to characters based on subsequent research that
      were not part of his initial inspiration; I just doubt that is the
      case in this instance.

      > Side-note: are my messages too long? I have noticed several
      > references on this list to matters deemed too complicated for this
      > format.

      There are no rules for length, so far as I know, but short posts are
      more likely to get responded to that long, complex ones. Changing
      headers to reflect changing focus of a post is always welcome. And
      trimming texts being responded to down to the relevant sections is
      definitely good form.

      Re. 'Tolkien Studies' vs. 'Middle-earth Studies', I think it's a
      false dichotomy to divide them. Some things I'm interested in might
      fall in one category, some in the other, and some cut across both.
      It's like trying to divide Lit from Lang; it's better to consider
      both aspects together.

      As for Brooke-Rose, it's been too long since I read her for me to
      respond in detail, but I thought at the time that her chief
      shortcoming was that she was writing a book about fantasy without any
      clear idea of what fantasy was, which made her comments seem random
      and unfocused.

      --JDR

    • Anglin Turcam
      Message 2 of 23 , Dec 2, 2006
        To William Cloud Hicklin :
        >> Could it be that you're right: these names in fact did inspire the
        Great Pyre?
        Thank's, it's perhaps after Mr John D Ratelif the only positive opinion
        about this fact. I'm very sad to not write as goodly as I want to speak
        about my point of view of my 'paradox' for the 'editorial concession'
        conceded by Pr Tolkien about his dwarves and their possible relation
        with Old norse ones. I'm afraid that I have to say that I'm not agree
        with that fact commonly accepted by all the Tolkien Community ... there
        are too much things to much details to much words that make me think
        that Tolkien did really take a lot of things from Norse Dwarves (
        perhaps even to Norse Cosmogology about them ) to speak about a
        simple 'concession'. I want to go farther than Mr Shippey did realy
        goood about them, farther than the lots of ones that speak only about
        the Names occuring in Völuspá ...

        To Jason :
        >> so I'd be curious to hear more about your work off-list (as you
        suggested it was too complicated for the list). Drop me a line if you'd
        like ...

        Check your MailBox Jason ;)

        >> I'd actually be interested in this too, I'm preparing lecture notes
        on Tolkien's dwarves for a Tolkien class I'm teaching next semester.

        I work also about other interrestings things about Tolkien's dwarves
        like death/size/women/magical object (in fact in Letters Tolkien
        says 'Magic is Art' and the dwarves are Aulë childrens ....). Did you
        read french freely ?
        I can tell you that your lecture notes can be very interresting to me
        if you can send them to my mailbox ?

        Anglin.
      • alexeik@aol.com
        Message 3 of 23 , Dec 2, 2006
          believe he cribbed the Brandybucks' names (Meriadoc,
          Gorbadoc, Saradoc) from Medieval Welsh. <<

          That, and even more from mediaeval Cornish and Breton. Alexei >
          .
          AActuaActua
        • Larry Swain
          Message 4 of 23 , Dec 4, 2006

            > I work also about other interrestings things about Tolkien's dwarves
            > like death/size/women/magical object (in fact in Letters Tolkien
            > says 'Magic is Art' and the dwarves are Aulë childrens ....). Did you
            > read french freely ?
            > I can tell you that your lecture notes can be very interresting to me
            > if you can send them to my mailbox ?
            >
            > Anglin.

            Anglin,

            I'll be happy to send them along when I've finished them, pretty basic though. And yes, I read French.

            ljs