Re: [mythsoc] Harry Potter

  • Berni Phillips
    Message 1 of 100 , Jun 30, 2000
      >From: Stolzi@...

      >Officials at Britain's Canterbury Cathedral rejected requests from film
      >giants Warner Brothers to shoot scenes of the upcoming Harry Potter movie in
      >the historic location -because of the script's pagan imagery. The gothic
      >cathedral was to be the setting for Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and
      >Wizardry but officials were worried the move might offend their parishioners.

      I don't see Hogwarts as gothic. I see it as more of a Winchester Mystery
      House but even bigger. (I bet they could film it there! For those of you
      who don't know of it, it was built by the widow of the Winchester rifle
      maker
      who thought she was being haunted by the ghosts of the Indians killed by
      her husband's guns. She was evidently told by a psychic that as long as
      she kept building, she wouldn't die (or something like that). She kept
      carpenters working around the clock for years, so the house is a
      Victorian-era
      hodge-podge and includes things like staircases that lead to nowhere. It's
      also the setting for Michaela Roessner's _Vanishing Point_. It's right here
      in little old San Jose. Those of you coming to next year's Mythcon in
      Berkeley
      might want to take a trip south (about an hour if it's not commute time) to
      see
      it.)

      Berni
    • Berni Phillips
      Message 100 of 100 , Aug 17, 2005
        From: "Stolzi" <Stolzi@...>

        > http://www.comics.com/comics/nancy/archive/nancy-20050817.html
        >
        > or
        >
        > http://tinyurl.com/c5mr8

        Wow, I didn't know they were still publishing Nancy! I see they've updated
        the look of her aunt's but not Nancy herself. I guess it would be like
        Blondie and Dagwood getting different hairstyles. They're all prisoners of
        their hairdos.

        Berni