Re: [mythsoc] The Synopses

  • Wayne G. Hammond
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 1, 2006
      John wrote:

      >Tolkien himself wrote them, or so Rayner Unwin told me when I asked
      >him this same question. This is important, because the synopsis at
      >the beginning of THE TWO TOWERS actually includes information not in
      >THE FELLOWSHIP.

      Tolkien's authorship is documented in the Allen & Unwin correspondence
      archive: see the Companion and Guide, vol. 1 (Chronology), especially
      entries for 7 May and 15 September 1954. Brief comments on the synopses may
      be found in The Lord of the Rings: A Reader's Companion.

      (Apologies if this message repeats. I thought that I sent roughly the same
      from work this afternoon, but as nothing has shown up yet I may have been
      mistaken.)

      Wayne