Re: About dwarves and their connection with nordic myth ...

  • not_thou
    Message 1 of 23 , Dec 1, 2006
      I'm out of my depth here, but can suggest some sources to check:

      Regarding Hobbit first names, Arden Smith, citing Tolkien himself (in
      LotR's Appendix F?), talks a little about derivation of Took/Bolger
      personal names from ?Lombardic and Gothic in his paper in the
      Blackwelder collection, "Tolkienian Gothic".

      Regarding Hobbit last names, David Bratman presented a very
      entertaining paper at Birmingham in 2005 called "Hobbit Names Aren't
      from Kentucky", noting the last names were generally English but
      sometimes used more for sound than for sense, if I recall correctly.
      Has / will that paper be published?

      Regarding the dwarves' names... well, I was about to misremember a
      passage from Tolkien's letters, but I see that John Rateliff and
      Anglin Turkam thoroughly covered that subject earlier in this thread
      ("rabble of Eddaic-named Dwarves", etc. -- *Must remember to read
      backwards in the threads.*) As noted by others, this doesn't negate
      the possiblity of Tolkien folding in motifs from other sources when
      he returned to the dwarves for Appendix A, III -- but has anyone
      checked HoMe XII on this point? Also, noting Turkam's speculation of
      possible meanings for some dwarf names, is it true, as the (groan)
      Encyclopedia of Arda says, that "Dwalin" could mean "dawdler" in Old
      Norse? And could that explain the exceptionally long life of the
      first dwarf to appear in The Hobbit?

      Side-note: I'm not very familiar with message etiquette in group-
      lists: what's the preferred procedure for retaining or changing
      subject lines as the conversation drifts away from the original
      topic? Would it have been more or less helpful to readers for me to
      have changed the subject line of this message from "About dwarves and
      their connection with Nordic myth" to something like "Dwarf and
      hobbit names"?

      -Merlin DeTardo

      >--- "William Cloud Hicklin" <solicitr@...> wrote:
      >>--- "Larry Swain" <theswain@> wrote:
      >>>--- Jason wrote:
      >>> Yes, I agree with Larry. It's not beyond the realm of
      possibility, but I think it far more likely that Tolkien got the
      names directly from the Old Norse than through a French
      intermediary. Many of the hobbit names seem to have come from the
      Continent,
      >>Just enquiring about the last statement....The hobbit names came
      from the Continent? Bracegirdles, Proudfoot, Baggins are Continental
      names? I've done any sort of name-study, esp of the hobbits, so I'm
      curious.
      >Not the surnames, the rather pretentious given names of the Great
      Holes: Fredegar, Isengrim, Odavacar etc. Although I believe he
      cribbed the Brandybucks' names (Meriadoc, Gorbadoc, Saradoc) from
      Medieval Welsh.
    • Jason Fisher
      Message 2 of 23 , Dec 1, 2006
        > Also, noting Turkam's speculation of possible meanings for
        > some dwarf names, is it true, as the (groan) Encyclopedia of
        > Arda says, that "Dwalin" could mean "dawdler" in Old Norse?
        > And could that explain the exceptionally long life of the first
        > dwarf to appear in The Hobbit?

        That may be true, yes. Zoëga has:

        dvala, v. to delay, put off
        dvalan, f. prolongation

        And other similar words. I've also seen the meaning "torpid" but haven't tried to track that down yet. As I mentioned earlier in the thread, I'm currently doing work on this stuff.

        Jason Fisher

      • John D Rateliff
        Message 3 of 23 , Dec 1, 2006
          On Dec 1, 2006, at 5:26 PM, not_thou wrote:
          > Encyclopedia of Arda says, that "Dwalin" could mean "dawdler" in Old
          > Norse? And could that explain the exceptionally long life of the
          > first dwarf to appear in The Hobbit?

          I doubt it; Dvalin is one of the most famous of all dwarves in the
          Old Norse material, famed (among other things) as a great craftsman,
          and not notable for any "dawdling". In any case, the apparent
          "exceptionally long life" of Tolkien's character is I think the
          result of an error in the reckoning, not any intent on Tolkien's part
          to make him the Old Took of dwarves (that distinction belonging
          instead to Durin the First). Although, that said, it is very like
          Tolkien to add things to characters based on subsequent research that
          were not part of his initial inspiration; I just doubt that is the
          case in this instance.

          > Side-note: are my messages too long? I have noticed several
          > references on this list to matters deemed too complicated for this
          > format.

          There are no rules for length, so far as I know, but short posts are
          more likely to get responded to that long, complex ones. Changing
          headers to reflect changing focus of a post is always welcome. And
          trimming texts being responded to down to the relevant sections is
          definitely good form.

          Re. 'Tolkien Studies' vs. 'Middle-earth Studies', I think it's a
          false dichotomy to divide them. Some things I'm interested in might
          fall in one category, some in the other, and some cut across both.
          It's like trying to divide Lit from Lang; it's better to consider
          both aspects together.

          As for Brooke-Rose, it's been too long since I read her for me to
          respond in detail, but I thought at the time that her chief
          shortcoming was that she was writing a book about fantasy without any
          clear idea of what fantasy was, which made her comments seem random
          and unfocused.

          --JDR

        • Anglin Turcam
          Message 4 of 23 , Dec 2, 2006
            To William Cloud Hicklin :
            >> Could it be that you're right: these names in fact did inspire the
            Great Pyre?
            Thank's, it's perhaps after Mr John D Ratelif the only positive opinion
            about this fact. I'm very sad to not write as goodly as I want to speak
            about my point of view of my 'paradox' for the 'editorial concession'
            conceded by Pr Tolkien about his dwarves and their possible relation
            with Old norse ones. I'm afraid that I have to say that I'm not agree
            with that fact commonly accepted by all the Tolkien Community ... there
            are too much things to much details to much words that make me think
            that Tolkien did really take a lot of things from Norse Dwarves (
            perhaps even to Norse Cosmogology about them ) to speak about a
            simple 'concession'. I want to go farther than Mr Shippey did realy
            goood about them, farther than the lots of ones that speak only about
            the Names occuring in Völuspá ...

            To Jason :
            >> so I'd be curious to hear more about your work off-list (as you
            suggested it was too complicated for the list). Drop me a line if you'd
            like ...

            Check your MailBox Jason ;)

            >> I'd actually be interested in this too, I'm preparing lecture notes
            on Tolkien's dwarves for a Tolkien class I'm teaching next semester.

            I work also about other interrestings things about Tolkien's dwarves
            like death/size/women/magical object (in fact in Letters Tolkien
            says 'Magic is Art' and the dwarves are Aulë childrens ....). Did you
            read french freely ?
            I can tell you that your lecture notes can be very interresting to me
            if you can send them to my mailbox ?

            Anglin.
          • alexeik@aol.com
            Message 5 of 23 , Dec 2, 2006
              believe he cribbed the Brandybucks' names (Meriadoc,
              Gorbadoc, Saradoc) from Medieval Welsh. <<

              That, and even more from mediaeval Cornish and Breton. Alexei >
              .
              AActuaActua
            • Larry Swain
              Message 6 of 23 , Dec 4, 2006

                > I work also about other interrestings things about Tolkien's dwarves
                > like death/size/women/magical object (in fact in Letters Tolkien
                > says 'Magic is Art' and the dwarves are Aulë childrens ....). Did you
                > read french freely ?
                > I can tell you that your lecture notes can be very interresting to me
                > if you can send them to my mailbox ?
                >
                > Anglin.

                Anglin,

                I'll be happy to send them along when I've finished them, pretty basic though. And yes, I read French.

                ljs