Re: [mythsoc] The Synopses

  • Wayne G. Hammond
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 1, 2006
      John wrote:

      >Tolkien himself wrote them, or so Rayner Unwin told me when I asked
      >him this same question. This is important, because the synopsis at
      >the beginning of THE TWO TOWERS actually includes information not in
      >THE FELLOWSHIP.

      Tolkien's authorship of the synopses is documented in the Allen & Unwin
      correspondence archive: see The J.R.R. Tolkien Companion and Guide, various
      dates in vol. 1 (Chronology), especially 7 May and 15 September 1954. Brief
      comments on the synopses may be found in The Lord of the Rings: A Reader's
      Companion.

      Wayne Hammond

    • Wayne G. Hammond
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 1, 2006
        John wrote:

        >Tolkien himself wrote them, or so Rayner Unwin told me when I asked
        >him this same question. This is important, because the synopsis at
        >the beginning of THE TWO TOWERS actually includes information not in
        >THE FELLOWSHIP.

        Tolkien's authorship is documented in the Allen & Unwin correspondence
        archive: see the Companion and Guide, vol. 1 (Chronology), especially
        entries for 7 May and 15 September 1954. Brief comments on the synopses may
        be found in The Lord of the Rings: A Reader's Companion.

        (Apologies if this message repeats. I thought that I sent roughly the same
        from work this afternoon, but as nothing has shown up yet I may have been
        mistaken.)

        Wayne

      • William Cloud Hicklin
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 1, 2006
          So the phrase "great Darkness" with reference to Sauron's
          smog is indeed canonical.......

          --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "Wayne G.