re: The Hobbits Weep -- The Boston Globe

  • Catherine Boyle
    Message 1 of 139 , Dec 1, 2006
      An update:

      William C,. take heart: another Boston Globe reader (with more time than
      I have to write letters) responded to yesterday's misguided editorial
      with a letter the Globe headlined "Muddle Earth":

      http://www.boston.com/news/globe/editorial_opinion/letters/articles/2006/12/01/muddle_earth/

      I especially liked the part where he referred to Jackson's Aragorn as "a
      violent and confused travel guide seeking only to escape his
      inheritance." My own feelings lie very much with the letter writer;
      Jackson's visual sense is superb, but his understanding of Tolkien's
      moral sensibilities is, at best, underdeveloped.

      Cathy Boyle
    • Mariette Knoblauch
      Message 139 of 139 , Dec 18, 2006

        > For my part, seeing Serkis's excellent work in other films (most
        > recently"The Prestige") has made me even more appalled at his bizarre
        > goofball
        > Gollum, especially in the one place he appears directly, the flashback
        > scene with Deagol.

        I would assume, since Serkis is a very good actor, that he was playing the
        part as directed. It's an actor's job to play the character as interpreted
        and instructed by the director, and if the director wants the character
        played "goofball", that's what the actor delivers. Even so, he did an
        excellent acting job, and Gollum wasn't treated nearly as badly as Gimli
        was.

        Wil Wheaton has something to say on the subject - he repeatedly begged to be
        able to play Wesley more like a normal teenager and not "annoying boy
        genius", but was overruled.

        Mariette