Re: [mythsoc] The Synopses

  • Wayne G. Hammond
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 1, 2006
      John wrote:

      >Tolkien himself wrote them, or so Rayner Unwin told me when I asked
      >him this same question. This is important, because the synopsis at
      >the beginning of THE TWO TOWERS actually includes information not in
      >THE FELLOWSHIP.

      Tolkien's authorship of the synopses is documented in the Allen & Unwin
      correspondence archive: see The J.R.R. Tolkien Companion and Guide, various
      dates in vol. 1 (Chronology), especially 7 May and 15 September 1954. Brief
      comments on the synopses may be found in The Lord of the Rings: A Reader's
      Companion.

      Wayne Hammond

    • "Beregond. Anders Stenström"
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 1, 2006
        John D Rateliff wrote:

        > Tolkien himself wrote them, or so Rayner Unwin told me when I asked
        > him this same question. This is important, because the synopsis at
        > the beginning of THE TWO TOWERS actually includes information not in
        > THE FELLOWSHIP.

        And if I remember correctly, the synopsis in _The Return of
        the King_ contains, uniquely, the translation of _Cirith Ungol_
        as "the Spider's Pass". It may seem trivial now, but in days of
        yore it was an important piece of confirmatory evidence for those
        interested in Elvish.

        Chivalrous greetings,

        Beregond
      • Wayne G. Hammond
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 1, 2006
          John wrote:

          >Tolkien himself wrote them, or so Rayner Unwin told me when I asked
          >him this same question. This is important, because the synopsis at
          >the beginning of THE TWO TOWERS actually includes information not in
          >THE FELLOWSHIP.

          Tolkien's authorship is documented in the Allen & Unwin correspondence
          archive: see the Companion and Guide, vol. 1 (Chronology), especially
          entries for 7 May and 15 September 1954. Brief comments on the synopses may
          be found in The Lord of the Rings: A Reader's Companion.

          (Apologies if this message repeats. I thought that I sent roughly the same
          from work this afternoon, but as nothing has shown up yet I may have been
          mistaken.)

          Wayne

        • William Cloud Hicklin
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 1, 2006
            So the phrase "great Darkness" with reference to Sauron's
            smog is indeed canonical.......

            --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "Wayne G.