Greetings, Gentlemen - an introduction of sorts

  • auricdor
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 1, 2006
      I'm new to the group - although I have a longstanding interest in the
      Mythopoeic Society (going back to my early teens) and in the Inklings
      in particular, as well as a deep and abiding respect for their work.

      Some of you are already aware of this to a degree having seen some of
      the (gah!) hype associated with the film rights sale to my novel,
      HERE, THERE BE DRAGONS.

      Since some of the concerns voices here were not dissimilar to those in
      other forums, I thought it might be helpful to direct those of you who
      are interested to an interview I did regarding this project:

      http://www.theonering.com/articles/19990,1.html

      Outside of that, there's little substitute for having direct access to
      the author to ask questions of and get answers from, so I hope you'll
      feel open to ask whatever you'd like.

      Best regards to you all -

      James A. Owen
    • Walter Padgett
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 2, 2006
        Welcome James.

        This list is the best. Keep coming back.

        Regards, Walter Padgett

        On 12/1/06, auricdor <auricdor@...> wrote:

        > I'm new to the group - although I have a longstanding interest in the
        > Mythopoeic Society (going back to my early teens) and in the Inklings
        > in particular, as well as a deep and abiding respect for their work.
        >
        > Some of you are already aware of this to a degree having seen some of
        > the (gah!) hype associated with the film rights sale to my novel,
        > HERE, THERE BE DRAGONS.
        >
        > Since some of the concerns voices here were not dissimilar to those in
        > other forums, I thought it might be helpful to direct those of you who
        > are interested to an interview I did regarding this project:
        >
        > http://www.theonering.com/articles/19990,1.html
        >
        > Outside of that, there's little substitute for having direct access to
        > the author to ask questions of and get answers from, so I hope you'll
        > feel open to ask whatever you'd like.
        >
        > Best regards to you all -
        >
        > James A. Owen

      • auricdor
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 2, 2006
          Thank you, Walter! It's already been very helpful, and very
          interesting to read what's gone before.

          I'm certainly not the Tolkien scholar I once was (twenty years ago!)
          so I hope I can keep up.

          I also had read (and in one case, responded to) some criticisms of my
          work posted here - which I have to say, was rather refreshing. I've
          largely been having to contend with readers who know much LESS about
          the Inklings than I do (including one reviewer who claimed I'd
          'invented' the Charles Williams character as a viewpoint character for
          Tolkien and Lewis...) so again, I'm happy to be here.

          Best,

          James