Re: [mythsoc] The Synopses

  • John D Rateliff
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 1, 2006
      Tolkien himself wrote them, or so Rayner Unwin told me when I asked
      him this same question. This is important, because the synopsis at
      the beginning of THE TWO TOWERS actually includes information not in
      THE FELLOWSHIP.
      --JDR

      On Dec 1, 2006, at 10:08 AM, William Cloud Hicklin wrote:
      > Oddly it had never occurred to me to wonder about this
      > question until just lately:
      >
      > Did JRRT write the synpopses that appear at the beginning of
      > TT and RK, or did someone at A&U do them?
      >
      > I think this question arose because I have been using a one-
      > volume ed. for years, but recently happened to pick up a
      > separate RK, and the Synopsis rather jumped out at me.
      >
      > WCH
    • Wayne G. Hammond
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 1, 2006
        John wrote:

        >Tolkien himself wrote them, or so Rayner Unwin told me when I asked
        >him this same question. This is important, because the synopsis at
        >the beginning of THE TWO TOWERS actually includes information not in
        >THE FELLOWSHIP.

        Tolkien's authorship of the synopses is documented in the Allen & Unwin
        correspondence archive: see The J.R.R. Tolkien Companion and Guide, various
        dates in vol. 1 (Chronology), especially 7 May and 15 September 1954. Brief
        comments on the synopses may be found in The Lord of the Rings: A Reader's
        Companion.

        Wayne Hammond

      • "Beregond. Anders Stenström"
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 1, 2006
          John D Rateliff wrote:

          > Tolkien himself wrote them, or so Rayner Unwin told me when I asked
          > him this same question. This is important, because the synopsis at
          > the beginning of THE TWO TOWERS actually includes information not in
          > THE FELLOWSHIP.

          And if I remember correctly, the synopsis in _The Return of
          the King_ contains, uniquely, the translation of _Cirith Ungol_
          as "the Spider's Pass". It may seem trivial now, but in days of
          yore it was an important piece of confirmatory evidence for those
          interested in Elvish.

          Chivalrous greetings,

          Beregond
        • Wayne G. Hammond
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 1, 2006
            John wrote:

            >Tolkien himself wrote them, or so Rayner Unwin told me when I asked
            >him this same question. This is important, because the synopsis at
            >the beginning of THE TWO TOWERS actually includes information not in
            >THE FELLOWSHIP.

            Tolkien's authorship is documented in the Allen & Unwin correspondence
            archive: see the Companion and Guide, vol. 1 (Chronology), especially
            entries for 7 May and 15 September 1954. Brief comments on the synopses may
            be found in The Lord of the Rings: A Reader's Companion.

            (Apologies if this message repeats. I thought that I sent roughly the same
            from work this afternoon, but as nothing has shown up yet I may have been
            mistaken.)

            Wayne

          • William Cloud Hicklin
            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 1, 2006
              So the phrase "great Darkness" with reference to Sauron's
              smog is indeed canonical.......

              --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "Wayne G.