Re: [mythsoc] The Synopses

  • David Emerson
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 1, 2006
      >Did JRRT write the synopses that appear at the beginning of
      >TT and RK, or did someone at A&U do them?

      There are synopses?? !!!

      emerdavid

      PeoplePC Online
      A better way to Internet
      http://www.peoplepc.com
    • John D Rateliff
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 1, 2006
        Tolkien himself wrote them, or so Rayner Unwin told me when I asked
        him this same question. This is important, because the synopsis at
        the beginning of THE TWO TOWERS actually includes information not in
        THE FELLOWSHIP.
        --JDR

        On Dec 1, 2006, at 10:08 AM, William Cloud Hicklin wrote:
        > Oddly it had never occurred to me to wonder about this
        > question until just lately:
        >
        > Did JRRT write the synpopses that appear at the beginning of
        > TT and RK, or did someone at A&U do them?
        >
        > I think this question arose because I have been using a one-
        > volume ed. for years, but recently happened to pick up a
        > separate RK, and the Synopsis rather jumped out at me.
        >
        > WCH
      • Wayne G. Hammond
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 1, 2006
          John wrote:

          >Tolkien himself wrote them, or so Rayner Unwin told me when I asked
          >him this same question. This is important, because the synopsis at
          >the beginning of THE TWO TOWERS actually includes information not in
          >THE FELLOWSHIP.

          Tolkien's authorship of the synopses is documented in the Allen & Unwin
          correspondence archive: see The J.R.R. Tolkien Companion and Guide, various
          dates in vol. 1 (Chronology), especially 7 May and 15 September 1954. Brief
          comments on the synopses may be found in The Lord of the Rings: A Reader's
          Companion.

          Wayne Hammond

        • "Beregond. Anders Stenström"
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 1, 2006
            John D Rateliff wrote:

            > Tolkien himself wrote them, or so Rayner Unwin told me when I asked
            > him this same question. This is important, because the synopsis at
            > the beginning of THE TWO TOWERS actually includes information not in
            > THE FELLOWSHIP.

            And if I remember correctly, the synopsis in _The Return of
            the King_ contains, uniquely, the translation of _Cirith Ungol_
            as "the Spider's Pass". It may seem trivial now, but in days of
            yore it was an important piece of confirmatory evidence for those
            interested in Elvish.

            Chivalrous greetings,

            Beregond
          • Wayne G. Hammond
            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 1, 2006
              John wrote:

              >Tolkien himself wrote them, or so Rayner Unwin told me when I asked
              >him this same question. This is important, because the synopsis at
              >the beginning of THE TWO TOWERS actually includes information not in
              >THE FELLOWSHIP.

              Tolkien's authorship is documented in the Allen & Unwin correspondence
              archive: see the Companion and Guide, vol. 1 (Chronology), especially
              entries for 7 May and 15 September 1954. Brief comments on the synopses may
              be found in The Lord of the Rings: A Reader's Companion.

              (Apologies if this message repeats. I thought that I sent roughly the same
              from work this afternoon, but as nothing has shown up yet I may have been
              mistaken.)

              Wayne

            • William Cloud Hicklin
              Message 6 of 7 , Dec 1, 2006
                So the phrase "great Darkness" with reference to Sauron's
                smog is indeed canonical.......

                --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "Wayne G.