Re: [mythsoc] Re: J. Chance / Tolkien Encyclopedia

  • Larry Swain
    Message 1 of 57 , Dec 1, 2006

      > --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, Jason Fisher <visualweasel@...>
      > wrote:
      > >
      > > --- William Cloud Hicklin wrote:
      > > > The basic procedure for PoMo critical analysis:
      > > > Step 2) Construct thereon a "political viewpoint" for the
      > work
      > > > Step 3) Attack the author's politics
      > > anachronistic.
      > >
      > > LOL, nicely done. I smell a new Foucault/Derrida drinking game
      > in the offing. :)
      > >

      > You know, Eco's "Foucault's Pendulum" can be read as a double-
      > entendre title for a parody of PoMo theory.

      Oddly enough, this is how the book was originally recommended to me when I read it....and I think the novel works very well as a sort of parody of that kind of thinking.

      Powered by Outblaze
    • Diane Joy Baker
      Message 57 of 57 , Dec 4, 2006
        Well said; I've little love for PoMo. Off topic, anyway, and I prefer to discuss lit crit and literature I *like.* ---djb

        > The basic procedure for PoMo critical analysis:
        >
        > Step 1) Find something in the text which might be vaguely
        > political
        > Step 2) Construct thereon a "political viewpoint" for the work
        > Step 3) Attack the author's politics
        >
        > Extra credit if the politics marginalize a recognized victim
        > group.
        >
        > Double extra credit if the "political viewpoint" is wildly
        > anachronistic.

        LOL, nicely done. I smell a new Foucault/Derrida drinking game in the offing. :)

        (This is verging on going off-topic, if it hasn't already, but I had to comment.)