Re: General

  • Diane Baker
    Message 1 of 20 , Jun 14, 1999
      Diane Baker wrote:

      > Essentially, allows a forum for discussion of literature about Tolkien,
      > C. S. Lewis, and Charles Williams.

      Forgot to add that we also discuss other fantasy, and nominate current
      books for the Mythopoeic Awards, given annually at the Mythcon. We do
      three awards: scholarship, children's and adult fantasy. Would love to
      hear about some of the Celtic lore you've been reading. ---djb.
    • Jerome J. Schultz II
      Message 2 of 20 , Jun 14, 1999
        At 12:45 PM 6/14/99 -0400, you wrote:
        >From: Stolzi@...
        >If anyone's interested, I just came across a mega-site on the planned
        >three-film live-action trilogy of LORD OF THE RINGS. This is apparently a
        >quite serious project.
        >The URL is http://ringbearer.org/

        Mellyn,

        I have also been provided a link to a great site which appears to be the
        official movie page. With sketches based on the guidance of Alan Lee and John
        Howe.

        http://www.lordoftherings.net/index.html

        If you double-click on the sketches you will be provided a much more detailed
        piece of art. I especially enjoyed the unlabeled pieces.

        Namarie,

        Jerry Schultz
      • FrMacKen@xxx.xxx
        Message 3 of 20 , Jun 14, 1999
          Jim,
          I can't believe the amount of email I have recieved by my query. I am
          not a great devotee of Mr. Lewis. I do know that Messrs. Tolkien and Lewis
          were part of a literary group formed in University called the Inklings.
          The other authors that you have mentioned are not known to me. My own
          forays into fantasy include authors such as Jane Yolen, Charles DeLint, and
          Tanith Lee.
          Terri Windling from Tor Books has been a good soul with whom I have
          conversed at times.
          Thank you for the letter,
          Diolch yn fawr.
          Ron Speer
        • Jim Bohannon
          Message 4 of 20 , Jun 14, 1999
            FrMacKen@... wrote:

            > From: FrMacKen@...
            >
            > Jim,
            > I can't believe the amount of email I have received by my query.

            Hey Ron, it looks like our naive questions helped bring the list
            wonderfully to life! I'm glad you posted something.

            > I am not a great devotee of Mr. Lewis. I do know that Messrs. Tolkien and Lewis
            > were part of a literary group formed in University called the Inklings.

            Yes, they were part of the group known as the Inklings. C. S. Lewis
            claims to have been influenced by George MacDonald. Yes there is
            significant interconnection between Tolkein and Lewis. Please, give
            them a try. I have to admit I am excited after learning on this list
            about the production of a movie series of Tolkein's "Lord of the
            Rings." I don't generally get very excited about movie news -- but I am
            excited about this!

            > My own forays into fantasy include authors such as Jane Yolen, Charles DeLint, and
            > Tanith Lee...Terri Windling from Tor Books has been a good soul with whom I have
            > conversed at times.

            I am familiar with Tanith Lee and Terri Windling. Just curious, aren't
            these authors associated more with the contemporary horror genre? I
            would really like to learn more about their work. Many thanks!

            Blessings,
            Jim
          • LeslieJ55@xxx.xxx
            Message 5 of 20 , Jun 15, 1999
              In a message dated 6/13/99 11:09:33 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
              bohannon@... writes:

              > I am also interested in expanding my contact with the work of George
              > MacDonald. I own copies of "Phantastes", "Lilith", and "The Princess
              > and the Goblin", in addition to marking web sites with e-texts. Any
              > suggestions on the best way to proceed?
              >
              > Blessings,
              >
              > Jim Bohannon
              > Milledgeville, Georgia
              Jim,
              when you finish Lilith let me know. Most "Mythopoeic" book I ever read.

              Leslie Maloney

              A hobbit aging, stumbly, seeking,
              seeking grace, and most of all a nice cuppa tea, a little biscuit or cake,
              and some good company.
              Damn, Virginia is boring.

              (excuse the mumblings. Just an aging old Mythie feeling lonely)
            • LeslieJ55@xxx.xxx
              Message 6 of 20 , Jun 15, 1999
                So what have you all to say on Lewis, or Tolkien, Or Williams or MacDonald?
                give out discussion, we are here to Discuss.

                Leslie Maloney,
                Hampton, VA
              • Stolzi@xxx.xxx
                Message 7 of 20 , Jun 15, 1999
                  In a message dated 6/15/99 6:52:30 PM Central Daylight Time,
                  LeslieJ55@... writes:

                  > old Mythie feeling lonely

                  Can you come to the Mythcon in Milwaukee this year, Leslie? Love to see you
                  there.

                  Mary S
                • Diane Baker
                  Message 8 of 20 , Jun 15, 1999
                    LeslieJ55@... wrote:

                    > From: LeslieJ55@...
                    >
                    > In a message dated 6/13/99 11:09:33 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
                    > bohannon@... writes:
                    >
                    > > I am also interested in expanding my contact with the work of George
                    > > MacDonald. I own copies of "Phantastes", "Lilith", and "The Princess
                    > > and the Goblin", in addition to marking web sites with e-texts. Any
                    > > suggestions on the best way to proceed?
                    > >
                    > > Blessings,
                    > >
                    > > Jim Bohannon
                    > > Milledgeville, Georgia
                    > Jim,
                    > when you finish Lilith let me know. Most "Mythopoeic" book I ever read.
                    >
                    > Leslie Maloney
                    >
                    > A hobbit aging, stumbly, seeking,
                    > seeking grace, and most of all a nice cuppa tea, a little biscuit or cake,
                    > and some good company.
                    > Damn, Virginia is boring.
                    >
                    > (excuse the mumblings. Just an aging old Mythie feeling lonely)

                    Leslie:

                    I know e-mail doesn't quite fill the bill of a personal confab, but
                    maybe being on the mythsoc list will help.

                    Another aging hobbit
                    with a penchant for Earl Grey.
                  • Stolzi@xxx.xxx
                    Message 9 of 20 , Jun 16, 1999
                      LeslieJ55@... writes:

                      > > I am also interested in expanding my contact with the work of George
                      > > MacDonald.

                      There's a company out there which is republishing his works [and NOT
                      simplifying and shortening them, as some Christian publishers have done] at
                      quite reasonable prices. Anybody have their name and address? I know they
                      were at the dealers' table at the last Mythcon.

                      Mary S
                    • Wayne G. Hammond
                      Message 10 of 20 , Jun 16, 1999
                        Mary wrote:

                        >> > I am also interested in expanding my contact with the work of George
                        >> > MacDonald.
                        >
                        >There's a company out there which is republishing his works [and NOT
                        >simplifying and shortening them, as some Christian publishers have done] at
                        >quite reasonable prices. Anybody have their name and address? I know they
                        >were at the dealers' table at the last Mythcon.

                        It's:

                        Johannesen Printing and Publishing
                        P.O. Box 24
                        Whitethorn, CA 95589

                        Also on the Web at <www.johannesen.com>.

                        Wayne Hammond
                      • Stolzi@xxx.xxx
                        Message 11 of 20 , Jun 16, 1999

                          Message 12 of 20 , Jun 18, 1999
                            Jim Bohannon wrote:

                            > From: Jim Bohannon <bohannon@...>
                            >
                            > FrMacKen@... wrote:
                            > >
                            > > From: FrMacKen@...
                            > >
                            > I have to admit I am excited after learning on this list
                            > about the production of a movie series of Tolkein's "Lord of the
                            > Rings." I don't generally get very excited about movie news -- but I am excited about this!

                            I hope that the film turns out well, but other productions of LOTR were
                            so dreadful that I'm quite wary. I'll check out the movie sites, and
                            see what they're doing so far. Maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised.

                            > My own forays into fantasy include authors such as Jane Yolen,
                            > Charles DeLint, and Tanith Lee...Terri Windling from Tor Books has
                            > been a good soul with whom I have conversed at times.

                            I've read Tanith Lee and enjoyed her work, esp. earlier things, *The
                            Electric Forest* in particular. She's gone over to horror (fine with
                            me), but also has some interesting SF. Windling's a fine editor, and I
                            enjoyed her *Wood Wife.* I'm pleased to say that I'm enjoying Charles
                            De Lint's *Someplace to Be Flying,* btw. Am about halfway through. I
                            like the characters, and am enjoying the conception of the animal
                            people; he does well to keep the medicine lands in the background (so
                            far), and it seems much lighter in tone than either *Trader* or *Memory
                            and
                            Dream.* ---djb.

                            > Blessings,
                            > Jim
                          • Diane Baker
                            Message 13 of 20 , Jun 18, 1999
                              LeslieJ55@... wrote:

                              > From: LeslieJ55@...
                              >
                              > So what have you all to say on Lewis, or Tolkien, Or Williams or MacDonald?
                              > give out discussion, we are here to Discuss.
                              >
                              > Leslie Maloney,
                              > Hampton, VA

                              Sounds like an essay question. Is this a test? :)

                              Seems we need a topic. OK, if Lewis (suburban), Williams (city), and
                              Tolkien (rural) were different because of their orientation toward
                              cities, rural country side or suburbs, what unites them in terms of
                              geography? ---djb.