The Synopses

  • William Cloud Hicklin
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 1, 2006
      Oddly it had never occurred to me to wonder about this
      question until just lately:

      Did JRRT write the synpopses that appear at the beginning of
      TT and RK, or did someone at A&U do them?

      I think this question arose because I have been using a one-
      volume ed. for years, but recently happened to pick up a
      separate RK, and the Synopsis rather jumped out at me.

      WCH
    • David Emerson
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 1, 2006
        >Did JRRT write the synopses that appear at the beginning of
        >TT and RK, or did someone at A&U do them?

        There are synopses?? !!!

        emerdavid

        PeoplePC Online
        A better way to Internet
        http://www.peoplepc.com
      • John D Rateliff
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 1, 2006
          Tolkien himself wrote them, or so Rayner Unwin told me when I asked
          him this same question. This is important, because the synopsis at
          the beginning of THE TWO TOWERS actually includes information not in
          THE FELLOWSHIP.
          --JDR

          On Dec 1, 2006, at 10:08 AM, William Cloud Hicklin wrote:
          > Oddly it had never occurred to me to wonder about this
          > question until just lately:
          >
          > Did JRRT write the synpopses that appear at the beginning of
          > TT and RK, or did someone at A&U do them?
          >
          > I think this question arose because I have been using a one-
          > volume ed. for years, but recently happened to pick up a
          > separate RK, and the Synopsis rather jumped out at me.
          >
          > WCH
        • Wayne G. Hammond
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 1, 2006
            John wrote:

            >Tolkien himself wrote them, or so Rayner Unwin told me when I asked
            >him this same question. This is important, because the synopsis at
            >the beginning of THE TWO TOWERS actually includes information not in
            >THE FELLOWSHIP.

            Tolkien's authorship of the synopses is documented in the Allen & Unwin
            correspondence archive: see The J.R.R. Tolkien Companion and Guide, various
            dates in vol. 1 (Chronology), especially 7 May and 15 September 1954. Brief
            comments on the synopses may be found in The Lord of the Rings: A Reader's
            Companion.

            Wayne Hammond

          • "Beregond. Anders Stenström"
            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 1, 2006
              John D Rateliff wrote:

              > Tolkien himself wrote them, or so Rayner Unwin told me when I asked
              > him this same question. This is important, because the synopsis at
              > the beginning of THE TWO TOWERS actually includes information not in
              > THE FELLOWSHIP.

              And if I remember correctly, the synopsis in _The Return of
              the King_ contains, uniquely, the translation of _Cirith Ungol_
              as "the Spider's Pass". It may seem trivial now, but in days of
              yore it was an important piece of confirmatory evidence for those
              interested in Elvish.

              Chivalrous greetings,

              Beregond
            • Wayne G. Hammond
              Message 6 of 7 , Dec 1, 2006
                John wrote:

                >Tolkien himself wrote them, or so Rayner Unwin told me when I asked
                >him this same question. This is important, because the synopsis at
                >the beginning of THE TWO TOWERS actually includes information not in
                >THE FELLOWSHIP.

                Tolkien's authorship is documented in the Allen & Unwin correspondence
                archive: see the Companion and Guide, vol. 1 (Chronology), especially
                entries for 7 May and 15 September 1954. Brief comments on the synopses may
                be found in The Lord of the Rings: A Reader's Companion.

                (Apologies if this message repeats. I thought that I sent roughly the same
                from work this afternoon, but as nothing has shown up yet I may have been
                mistaken.)

                Wayne

              • William Cloud Hicklin
                Message 7 of 7 , Dec 1, 2006
                  So the phrase "great Darkness" with reference to Sauron's
                  smog is indeed canonical.......

                  --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "Wayne G.