Re: J. Chance / Tolkien Encyclopedia

  • William Cloud Hicklin
    Message 1 of 57 , Dec 1, 2006
      --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, Jason Fisher <visualweasel@...>
      wrote:

      > --- William Cloud Hicklin wrote:
      > > The basic procedure for PoMo critical analysis:
      > >
      > > Step 1) Find something in the text which might be vaguely
      > > political
      > > Step 2) Construct thereon a "political viewpoint" for the
      work
      > > Step 3) Attack the author's politics
      > >
      > > Extra credit if the politics marginalize a recognized victim
      > > group.
      > >
      > > Double extra credit if the "political viewpoint" is wildly
      > > anachronistic.
      >
      > LOL, nicely done. I smell a new Foucault/Derrida drinking game
      in the offing. :)

      You know, Eco's "Foucault's Pendulum" can be read as a double-
      entendre title for a parody of PoMo theory.
    • Diane Joy Baker
      Message 57 of 57 , Dec 4, 2006
        Well said; I've little love for PoMo. Off topic, anyway, and I prefer to discuss lit crit and literature I *like.* ---djb

        > The basic procedure for PoMo critical analysis:
        >
        > Step 1) Find something in the text which might be vaguely
        > political
        > Step 2) Construct thereon a "political viewpoint" for the work
        > Step 3) Attack the author's politics
        >
        > Extra credit if the politics marginalize a recognized victim
        > group.
        >
        > Double extra credit if the "political viewpoint" is wildly
        > anachronistic.

        LOL, nicely done. I smell a new Foucault/Derrida drinking game in the offing. :)

        (This is verging on going off-topic, if it hasn't already, but I had to comment.)