Re: J. Chance / Tolkien Encyclopedia

  • William Cloud Hicklin
    Message 1 of 57 , Dec 1, 2006
      --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "Larry Swain" <theswain@...>
      wrote:

      > Lees and Overing's Bede is not the Bede of the Historia
      Ecclesiastica. It seems to me that Chance often does the same
      thing to the texts she studies. Now in their defense I have to
      say that this is in fact what a good deal of "pomo" criticism
      does and is at heart my beef with Foucault and Derrida and the
      like....

      The basic procedure for PoMo critical analysis:

      Step 1) Find something in the text which might be vaguely
      political
      Step 2) Construct thereon a "political viewpoint" for the work
      Step 3) Attack the author's politics

      Extra credit if the politics marginalize a recognized victim
      group.

      Double extra credit if the "political viewpoint" is wildly
      anachronistic.
    • Diane Joy Baker
      Message 57 of 57 , Dec 4, 2006
        Well said; I've little love for PoMo. Off topic, anyway, and I prefer to discuss lit crit and literature I *like.* ---djb

        > The basic procedure for PoMo critical analysis:
        >
        > Step 1) Find something in the text which might be vaguely
        > political
        > Step 2) Construct thereon a "political viewpoint" for the work
        > Step 3) Attack the author's politics
        >
        > Extra credit if the politics marginalize a recognized victim
        > group.
        >
        > Double extra credit if the "political viewpoint" is wildly
        > anachronistic.

        LOL, nicely done. I smell a new Foucault/Derrida drinking game in the offing. :)

        (This is verging on going off-topic, if it hasn't already, but I had to comment.)