Re: [mythsoc] Re: Fastitocalon

  • Walter Padgett
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 1, 2006
      Hi,

      It is just this kind of thing in a documentary/biography film (with
      the right actors) on Tolkien that would be in order, I think.

      Walter.
      - - -

      On 11/30/06, "Beregond. Anders Stenström" <beregond@...> wrote:
      > Larry Swain wrote:
      >
      > >>In closing, I should say that I had wanted to find out why Tolkien took Fastitlocan for a tortoise rather than whale, but was unable to trace anything linguistically...not that I put that much effort into it.

      --------------------
      Stenström:

      > Tolkien's _Letters_, number 255, says that "Fastitocalon" in the
      > Anglo-Saxon bestiary seems to be a corruption of _Aspido-chelone_
      > (with a macron on the second "o"), which he translates "turtle with
      > a round shield (of hide)".
      >
      > For what it's worth, I can mention that when I visited Oxford
      > University's Museum of Natural History some years ago, practically
      > the first thing facing one inside the entrance was a giant turtle.
      > I do not know if it was there in Tolkien's time, but it looked as
      > if it might have been.
      >
      > Chivalrous greetings,
      >
      > Beregond
    • Wayne G. Hammond
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 1, 2006
        Jason wrote:

        >Ah, I don't have my copy in front of me to refer to, but you must be (or
        >Shippey must have been) referring to its appearance in Stapeldon Magazine,
        >Vol. 7, No. 40. The earlier version of "Oliphaunt" was also published in
        >that issue. And lest you think I just rattled that off from the top of my
        >head, hahae, here's a useful little chronological bibliography I often
        >find myself referring to:
        >
        > http://www.forodrim.org/arda/tbchron.html

        Carpenter missed it in the chronological checklist of Tolkien's works in
        the back of the first edition of the Biography, but picked it up in the
        1987 edition and later. It's also listed elsewhere, e.g. the Tolkien
        Descriptive Bibliography (1993). A few lines are quoted in the
        "Fastitocalon" entry in the Companion and Guide (vol. 2, pp. 295-7), which
        like Larry's article explores the roots of the poem (both poems with that
        title) in the Physiologus, the Voyage of St Brendan, etc.

        Wayne Hammond