Re: [mythsoc] Re: J. Chance / Tolkien Encyclopedia

  • Walter Padgett
    Message 1 of 57 , Nov 30, 2006
      Yes, Beth,

      Yes. We have a Philosophy prof here at ISU like that. She wrote a book on
      Aquinas and Star Trek. It's an amazing analysis, and you have to overlook
      what you "know" yourself about Star Trek to really embrace her points about
      Aquinas. The persona of this philosophy professor is so like Chance in so
      many ways, but she always presents herself as a lady first, professor
      second. To challenger her on any of her own convictions is to invite battle
      of the most distasteful category and degree. Yet she must be respected, if
      only for the fierceness with which she attacks her critics.

      I can say I know the type, even if I don't actually know either one of these
      ladies very well. But what do I know?

      For Chance, I can only say that I would retract about 90% of my remarks
      about her on this list lately. They came off the top of my head, and I am
      only a novice at this Tolkien stuff, anyway. In my thesis, I make remarks
      about her which are glowing, indeed. Yet these remarks reside within a
      larger and quite different context.

      I appreciate what she has done as an organizer of conferences and editor /
      compiler of Tolkien scholarship. But I don't want to try and defend her own
      scholarship on the subject.

      She is really beyond me. The way she writes about Tolkien has not been
      entirely interesting to me at this time, but good wine takes time to age,
      sometimes a long, long time. Maybe her remarks have gone stagnant and
      stale. It doesn't matter to me.

      Perhaps I will take the time to re-examine her dissertation and other
      writings on Tolkien and Middle-earth at a later time. I believe that she
      has taken the wonder and mystery of his works into her heart.

      I will try to take the best of what she has to offer as a scholar and
      reinterpret it according to my own skewed views. Perhaps we will make
      something of it together.

      I bet she is a lot more friendly one-on-one in person than in the
      gladiatorial arena of any conference.

      That's all for now. Just thoughts.

      Thanks, Walter.

      On 11/30/06, Beth Russell <russells@...> wrote:

      > >I to was at Marquette, my first Tolkien conference!
      > I was there also, and felt sorry for her. Trying too hard to make an
      > impression. Not really 'in'. Mutton dressed as lamb. Feel sorry for
      > her in her Tolkien writings also, so many minor errors, it is
      > embarrassing to read. Makes one wonder if she has read LOTR any time
      > these last forty years. Also makes one distrust her major conclusions,
      > since she doesn't get all the details right.
      >
      > And *yet*, And *yet*, I haven't seen it mentioned in this thread that
      > year after year she organizes Tolkien discussion groups at the MLA
      > meetings. Even when not maybe a wise thing to do in those circles.
      >
      > Cheers,
      >
      > Beth

    • Diane Joy Baker
      Message 57 of 57 , Dec 4 6:45 PM
        Well said; I've little love for PoMo. Off topic, anyway, and I prefer to discuss lit crit and literature I *like.* ---djb