Lawhead

  • Matthew Williams
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 30, 2000
      Message: 1
      Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2000 05:21:41 -0000
      From: "Donovan Mattole" <mattole@...>
      Subject: Re: The Iron Lance

      --- In mythsoc@egroups.com, director@... wrote:
      > Hi:
      > I've just signed up for this new list. I'm a public library
      >director in Wisconsin. I've just finished reading Stephen Lawhead's
      >new book "The iron lance" which I found quite enjoyable. Anybody
      >else read this yet?

      >I read it when it came out in 1998. I found it slow going, but that
      >was partially due to the fact that I read it in brief snippets while
      >riding the MAX (Portland transit train) to work each day - it took a
      >month to get through it. I just started The Black Rood this week.
      >I've had it sitting on my desk since December and I have kept
      passing
      >it over due to memories of The Iron Lance dragging - from what I can
      >tell so far he picked up the pace and I'm enjoying it. I'll let you
      >know my final feelings as soon as I'm done. I loved Avalon - it was
      >a fun read.

      .Donovan Mattole

      THe Iron Lance was not one of Lawhead's better efforts, nor was
      Avalon
      in my opinion. If your really want to read Lawhead's best work, read
      Byzantium or the Song of Albion series (again in my opinion). And
      yes,
      the Black Rood is much better than the Iron Lance.

      Matt Williams
    • Joan Marie Verba
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 30, 2000
        >THe Iron Lance was not one of Lawhead's better efforts, nor was
        >Avalon
        >in my opinion. If your really want to read Lawhead's best work, read
        >Byzantium or the Song of Albion series (again in my opinion). And
        >yes,
        >the Black Rood is much better than the Iron Lance.

        Oh, I thought Avalon was just wonderful. I was very surprised it did not
        make the final ballot for the Mythopoeic Fantasy Adult awards. I was
        surprised I enjoyed Avalon so much because I read one of Lawhead's earlier
        works and was not impressed.

        Joan

        Joan Marie Verba verba001@...
        List Administrator for DocEx, Mythsoc, MNSCBWI and
        MNSCREENW lists
      • Paul F. Labaki
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 30, 2000
          My sentiments echo Joan's exactly. I was not looking forward to reading
          Avalon and was wonderfully surprised. It just reinforces the old saw that
          one cannot judge a book by its cover, or at least, shouldn't.

          Peace,
          Paul Labaki

          > Oh, I thought Avalon was just wonderful. I was very surprised it did not
          > make the final ballot for the Mythopoeic Fantasy Adult awards. I was
          > surprised I enjoyed Avalon so much because I read one of Lawhead's earlier
          > works and was not impressed.
          >
          > Joan

        • Berni Phillips
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 30, 2000
            >From: "Joan Marie Verba" <verba001@...>

            >Oh, I thought Avalon was just wonderful. I was very surprised it did not
            >make the final ballot for the Mythopoeic Fantasy Adult awards. I was
            >surprised I enjoyed Avalon so much because I read one of Lawhead's earlier
            >works and was not impressed.

            I enjoyed reading most of _Avalon_ but I thought it was very flawed. It
            started out well and then degraded once he actually became king. I can
            believe one, very special character being reincarnated under the
            circumstances,
            but he just threw too many at us (Jenny, Kai, and a couple of the less major
            characters). Once the Morgan le Fey character came onstage, it really got
            worse. (I read a library copy so I don't have it here to look up the
            character
            names I can't remember.)

            Berni
          • Steve Schaper
            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 30, 2000
              At 6:02 PM -0400 6/30/00, Paul F. Labaki wrote:
              >My sentiments echo Joan's exactly. I was not looking forward to reading
              >Avalon and was wonderfully surprised. It just reinforces the old saw that
              >one cannot judge a book by its cover, or at least, shouldn't.
              >
              >Peace,
              >Paul Labaki
              >
              >> Oh, I thought Avalon was just wonderful. I was very surprised it did not
              >> make the final ballot for the Mythopoeic Fantasy Adult awards. I was
              >> surprised I enjoyed Avalon so much because I read one of Lawhead's earlier
              >> works and was not impressed.
              >>
              >> Joan

              Lawhead's earliest books seem rather awful. The Paradise War series I
              enjoy. Even to re-reading. The current "Celtic Crusades" novels don't
              work so well for me. First one was on getting the Lance of Longinus
              (where did that legend arise?) the second on a fragment of the True
              Cross.

              -Steve

              sschaper@...
              members.delphi.com/sschaper/web/sschaper.html