Song Challenge

  • lezlie1@znet.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 15, 2006
      Walter,
      (Pardon me for sending this to the list, but yahoo truncated your addy
      rendering it useless...)

      I'd love to have you there - but we are in Berkeley California -- not
      Indiana. You can enter the Song Challenge anyway -- just send your
      interpretation on a tape cassette or (preferred:) a CD to me at: 2998
      Shasta Rd. Berkley Ca 94708 RE: TSCP Song Challenge. We'll ask you to sign
      a waiver & get it onto the forthcoming CD, "Pyrate Lunacy". You keep all
      the rights for future performances & recordings. ("Drunken Sailor" as an
      Elvish aire?)

      I just thought all the mythopoets would enjoy the challenge. I hope to meet
      everyone at Mythcom out here next summer. (Maybe the Players will also come
      & contribute something to the event.)

      (BTW: for a little inspiration, go here & listen to "Yo Ho":
      http://www.moremoose.com/KOTF.htm) (Note: if you download this CD to your
      computer permanently, contact Mark Ungar at http://www.moremoose.com an
      talk to him about it.)

      You may be wondering why you haven't heard from me lately, my house burned
      three weeks ago, and I am just now getting back up to doing Other Things
      besides caring for house & home. We will rebuild and are in temporary digs,
      but it is an on-going Process. Let me take this moment to remind you of
      seeing to it that all of your fire safety measures are in place -- "CHEERS"
      Lezlie

      --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "Walter Padgett" <wpadgett@...> wrote:

      > ALLRIGHT!
      >
      > ROCK AND ROLL, LESLIE!
      >
      > GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR SHOW!
      >
      > INDIANA IS JUST A LITTLE FAR FOR ME, BUT I WOULD LOVE TO SEE IT.
      >

      > AS PROF. FOSTER WOULD SAY, "CHEERS"
      >
      > THANKS, WALTER.
      >

      > On 11/11/06, Lezlie <lezlie1@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > Quick addendum - you don't have to attend to enter your song. Just
      send
      > > a recording. happy song writing! Lezlie
      > >
      > > --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com <mythsoc%40yahoogroups.com>, lezlie1@
      > > wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Hi -- Because we opened the Song Challenge to Anyone and Everyone, I'm
      > > > sending this to all of you here & am asking all of you to send this to
      > > > anyone you know who would enjoy this Challenge:
      > > >
      > > > For greater amusement, The Starlight Circle Players have challenged
      the
      > > > singer/songwriters and musicians who will attend to re-arrange (in
      their
      > > > own musical styles and using the original lyrics) either of the
      > > following
      > > > songs: "15 Men on a Deadmen's Chest" or "Drunken Sailor" (or a
      > > combination
      > > > of both). The songs will be performed between courses and recorded
      > > on CD.
      > > >
      > > > Send a recording to TSCP c/o Lezlie Kinyon, 2998 Shasta Rd. Berkeley,
      Ca
      > > > 94708 -- we'll ask you to sign a waiver & add you to the CD, "Pyrate
      > > > Lunacy". People on the CD get a copy gratis, and friends & relatives
      can
      > > > buy one through the website around Christmas.
      > > >
      > > > If you are in the Bay Area, you can perform your
      > > interpretation/entry at the
      > > > Fundraiser, "A Pyrate Winter Holiday" December 1, contact us for
      > > details.
      > > > There will be a prize for "Best of the Evening". If you need us to
      > > record
      > > > you, contact us to make arrangements.
      > > >
      > > > I was inspired by a CD called `The Money or the Gun', in which a lot
      of
      > > > musicians rewrote `Stairway to Heaven,' and I thought: how really
      > > fun and
      > > > goofy. We've all heard the Chieftains' "Drunken Sailor" on their CD
      > > 'Deep
      > > > Blue Sea' and the thrasher version of "Yo Ho Ho" on the radio. The
      > > > challenge is the old lyrics and melody and one's own musical style,
      > > be it
      > > > full-on Wagnerian aria, a Broadway show tune, country, Dylanesque
      folk,
      > > > `60s `Haight Ashbury' rock, death metal, hip hop, tango, Bollywood, or
      > > > Balkan dance music. There is a prize for the best of the evening.
      > > Musicians
      > > > should be sure to call us if they have questions, and let us know in
      > > advance
      > > > if they will use electric instruments, as we'll need to accommodate
      > > for them
      > > > in the recording process.
      > > >
      > > > BB! Lezlie
      > > >
      > > > --
      > > > Systems Approaches in Arts-Informed Inquiry
      > > > Exploratory Group Chairs: Lezlie Kinyon, Ph.D & Bela A. Banathy Ph.D.
      > > > isss06lezlie@
      > > > babanathy@
      > > > http://www.isss.org/conferences/tokyo2007/
      > > > Planning is now underway for the 51st Annual Meeting of the ISSS,
      August
      > > > 5-10, 2007, at Tokyo Institute of Technology.
      > > > Kyoichi Kijima, ISSS President, 2006-2007

    • Walter Padgett
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 21, 2006
        try walter@... - or wpadgett@... (better)

        On 11/15/06, lezlie1@... <lezlie1@...> wrote:

        > Walter,
        > (Pardon me for sending this to the list, but yahoo truncated your addy
        > rendering it useless...)
        >
        > I'd love to have you there - but we are in Berkeley California -- not
        > Indiana. You can enter the Song Challenge anyway -- just send your
        > interpretation on a tape cassette or (preferred:) a CD to me at: 2998
        > Shasta Rd. Berkley Ca 94708 RE: TSCP Song Challenge. We'll ask you to sign
        > a waiver & get it onto the forthcoming CD, "Pyrate Lunacy". You keep all
        > the rights for future performances & recordings. ("Drunken Sailor" as an
        > Elvish aire?)

        [SOUNDS GREAT! ONLY WISH I HAD THE TIME, NOW ... .]

        > I just thought all the mythopoets would enjoy the challenge. I hope to meet
        > everyone at Mythcom out here next summer.

        [ME TOO!]

        > (BTW: for a little inspiration, go here & listen to "Yo Ho":
        > http://www.moremoose.com/KOTF.htm) (Note: if you download this CD to your
        > computer permanently, contact Mark Ungar at http://www.moremoose.com an
        > talk to him about it.)

        [INTERESTING. I'LL TRY.]

        > You may be wondering why you haven't heard from me lately, my house burned
        > three weeks ago, and I am just now getting back up to doing Other Things
        > besides caring for house & home. We will rebuild and are in temporary digs,
        > but it is an on-going Process. Let me take this moment to remind you of
        > seeing to it that all of your fire safety measures are in place -- "CHEERS"
        > Lezlie

        [SO SORRY THIS HAPPENED. GOOD LUCK WITH THE (SEMI-PERMANENT) MOVE.
        CHINS UP AND "CHEERS" TO YOU, LEZLIE]

        > > On 11/11/06, Lezlie <lezlie1@...> wrote:
        > > >
        > > > Quick addendum - you don't have to attend to enter your song. Just
        > send a recording. happy song writing!

        >>>Lezlie
        > > >
        > > > --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com <mythsoc%40yahoogroups.com>, lezlie1@

        > the