Encyclopedia Woes (was: Re: red letter day)

  • Jason Fisher
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 9, 2006
      Like David, I was also paid for my contributions, and my original contract did not stipulate that I would get a contributor's copy -- HOWEVER -- my initial contract only covered my first assignment of two entries. But as the months rolled by, I did quite a few more, asking for another one or two each time I finished one. By the time all was said and done, I'd contributed a dozen and I felt inclined to think I ought to get a contributor's copy. So I politely inquired of Jamie Ehrlich, and she put me "on the list," assuring me back in February that I would get one. So ...

      Fast forward to the present. Obviously, I haven't received one. When I talked to Mike about this recently, he gave me a contact at Taylor and Francis -- for what it's worth -- Kate.Aker[at]taylorandfrancis.com. A couple of days ago, I sent Ms. Aker an email with a gentle reminder about this issue, including the text of Jamie's original promise. No reply yet, but I haven't given up. And I would encourage anybody else out there who actually has an actual commitment for a copy to do likewise. It may get us nothing, but it's worth the try.

      On another note, like David, I'm concerned about accuracy. I certainly expected to be fact-checked, double-checked, and asked about a few things. Quis custodiet ipsos custodies, right? Mike sent me a couple of fascicles several months ago, and I was alarmed to see typographical errors that even an automated spell-checker would have caught (to say nothing of a human copy editor). As I don't have my physical copy yet, I can't determine whether these were corrected. But given the circumstances, I'm not terribly hopeful they were ...

      It's still going to be a very useful and worthwhile book. But unfortunately, it will contain errors and problems that could have been avoided. And sadly, those may have a tendency to undermine the credibility of the entire work. Boo, Taylor and Francis!

      Jason
    • Jason Fisher
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 20, 2006
        I thought I would let everybody know that I *did* receive my contributor's copy of the Encyclopedia. It took a couple of reminder emails, but the contact information I posted below worked in the end. So for those of you who *should* be getting a copy, but haven't yet, I would suggest dropping Ms. Aker a line.

        Jason

        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 21, 2006
          WOW !!!

          I've been working on reading this thread for days! Finally, I get
          something of it!

          Yes. Writing a blurb about anything Tolkien seems next to impossible,
          and must be so, given his extensive connections and prolific
          preponderance ... .

          That said, it must be indeed a woeful experience of anticipation to
          await the final version.

          I am curious to find what the piece says about our godlike mentor. Ahem.

          Harrumph!

          Thanks, Walter.