Re: [mythsoc] red letter day

  • David Emerson
    Message 1 of 49 , Nov 9, 2006
      >>The news on the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia is less good, to say the
      >>least.
      >
      >I haven't seen the book, and am concerned over its accuracy. I made a
      >number of statements of fact in my articles which I am confident are
      >correct, but which I expected to get queries about. Who knows what other
      >contributors put in their articles - at least one contributor once
      >published a whole book on Tolkien full of factual errors - or what problems
      >may have been introduced in the typesetting and printing process.

      I suppose we should then hope that the "encyclopedia" drops out of sight and does not become the reference work that it should have been. With the publisher abandoning its reference line and only a fraction of the projected copies printed, not to mention the prohibitive price, perhaps it will not appear on many library shelves, and will become a collector's curiosity.

      emerdavid

      PeoplePC Online
      A better way to Internet
      http://www.peoplepc.com
    • Walter Padgett
      Message 49 of 49 , Nov 21, 2006
        Yes, Ms. Dean,

        A great tale, indeed, is _The Silmarillion_. Yet how many operas would one
        fit into a "movie" of about 2 hours? What from the story would be
        selected? One Great Tale" is _The Silmarillion_, yet who could begin to
        understand all its nuances of meaning and fulfillment? And a more
        perplexing question yet-- to whom could the monumental tasks of reviewing
        and reading the existent body of literary criticism connected to that
        particular book be entrusted, if the purpose of making a movie out of the
        book were to be approached with what one could call "care"?

        No single individual could capture all the important nuances of the Hobbit.
        Yet in the hypnotic voice of John Houston the person of Gandalf entered out
        of Tolkien's book and into the life of the mind in a new and important
        way through the well-known animated version (78 min?) of that book. Just
        ask John Rateliff.
        We in part know Gandalf because of our understanding of the history of the
        "VOICE" of John Houston. This is my point.

        Who is Gandalf, now? Temporally, or con temporarily speaking, isn't it Sir
        ...... Mc ..... ?

        Isn't he also "Magneto"? (yes ... for X-Men fans, you get it)

        Do Hobbits play in the Silmarillion? Should Gandalf be played by John
        Houston in the movie version of The Silmarillion?

        Such questions should be considered in the making of a movie, either the
        HOBBIT or The Silmarillion.

        Did anyone enjoy *Arnold Schwarzenegger's *(aka, the brute's) versions of
        Robert E. Howard's CONAN THE BARBARIAN books? You should read the books and
        then check out those movies again. It can be quite arousing in that
        context.

        The Hobbit ... The Silmarillion ... whatever. Who cares who makes the
        money? WE only live so long, and the movies will last a lot longer than
        US. Money motivates, but does it actually make the movie? NO. Does it
        even sell the movie? ... ? Nooooo....

        The point is clear. WE have the spirit and the initiative to teach about
        Tolkien's writings. It is WE who should endeavor to do so.

        Thanks, Walter.