Re: [mythsoc] Mythlore 95/96 is here!

  • Diane Joy Baker
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 8, 2006
      Got mine; now I need to renew. ---djb

      ----- Original Message -----
      From: "Croft, Janet B." <jbcroft@...>
      To: <mythsoc@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Wednesday, November 01, 2006 2:54 PM
      Subject: [mythsoc] Mythlore 95/96 is here!

      > And if you're a subscriber, it will be in your hands soon!
      >

      > Contents for this really thick (216 pages!) double issue include:
      >
      > * "In the Hilt is Fame": Resonances of Medieval Swords and
      > Sword-lore in J.R.R. Tolkien's The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings
      > (K.S. Whetter and R. Andrew McDonald)
      > * Myth Maker, Unicorn Maker: C.S. Lewis and the Reshaping of
      > Medieval Thought (Chad Wriglesworth)
      > * The Theory and Practice of Alliterative Verse in the Work of
      > J.R.R. Tolkien (Mark F. Hall)
      > * "Surely You Don't Disbelieve": Tolkien and Pius X:
      > Anti-Modernism in Middle-earth (A.R. Bossert)
      > * The Shell-shocked Hobbit: The First World War and Tolkien's
      > Trauma of the Ring (Michael Livingston)
      > * Lord Dunsany and the Great War: Don Rodriguez and the Rebirth of
      > Romance (David J. Carlson)
      > * Playing by the Rules: Kipling's "Great Game" vs. "The Great
      > Dance" in C.S. Lewis's Space Trilogy (Teresa Hooper)
      > * An Unexpected Guest (Anne Amison)
      > * Dreaming of Dragons: Tolkien's Impact on Heaney's Beowulf
      > (Felicia Jean Steele)
      > * Wise Warriors in Tolkien, Lewis, and Rowling (Ernelle Fife)
      > * From Isolation to Community: Frodo's Incomplete Personal Quest
      > in The Lord of the Rings (Devin Brown)
      > * Bombadil's Role in The Lord of the Rings (Michael Treschow and
      > Mark Duckworth)
      > * "Where is that Worthless Dreamer?" Bottom's Fantastic Redemption
      > in Hoffman's A Midsummer Night's Dream (Frank P. Riga)
      >
      > Enjoy!
      >

      > Janet
      >

      > Janet Brennan Croft
      > Head of Access Services
      > University of Oklahoma Libraries
      > Bizzell 104NW
      > Norman OK 73019
      > 405-325-1918
      > Fax 405-325-7618
      > jbcroft@...
      > http://faculty-staff.ou.edu/C/Janet.B.Croft-1/
      > http://libraries.ou.edu/
      > Editor of Mythlore http://www.mythsoc.org/mythlore.html
      >
      > "We cannot abandon what we are fighting to defend; that would make our
      > self-defence indefensible." Harriet Vane in A Presumption of Death, Jill
      > Paton Walsh and Dorothy L. Sayers

      > Yahoo! Groups Links
      >

      > --

    • Croft, Janet B.
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 8, 2006
        Goodie! I'm starting to get back issues sent to people who moved and
        didn't give us their new address - I know there are a lot of subscribers
        on this list, so if you move, please be sure to send in your new address
        so you'll get your Mythlore!

        ________________________________

        > And if you're a subscriber, it will be in your hands soon!
        >

        > Contents for this really thick (216 pages!) double issue include:
        >
        > * "In the Hilt is Fame": Resonances of Medieval Swords and
        > Sword-lore in J.R.R. Tolkien's The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings
        > (K.S. Whetter and R. Andrew McDonald)
        > * Myth Maker, Unicorn Maker: C.S. Lewis and the Reshaping of
        > Medieval Thought (Chad Wriglesworth)
        > * The Theory and Practice of Alliterative Verse in the Work of
        > J.R.R. Tolkien (Mark F. Hall)
        > * "Surely You Don't Disbelieve": Tolkien and Pius X:
        > Anti-Modernism in Middle-earth (A.R. Bossert)
        > * The Shell-shocked Hobbit: The First World War and Tolkien's
        > Trauma of the Ring (Michael Livingston)
        > * Lord Dunsany and the Great War: Don Rodriguez and the Rebirth of
        > Romance (David J. Carlson)
        > * Playing by the Rules: Kipling's "Great Game" vs. "The Great
        > Dance" in C.S. Lewis's Space Trilogy (Teresa Hooper)
        > * An Unexpected Guest (Anne Amison)
        > * Dreaming of Dragons: Tolkien's Impact on Heaney's Beowulf
        > (Felicia Jean Steele)
        > * Wise Warriors in Tolkien, Lewis, and Rowling (Ernelle Fife)
        > * From Isolation to Community: Frodo's Incomplete Personal Quest
        > in The Lord of the Rings (Devin Brown)
        > * Bombadil's Role in The Lord of the Rings (Michael Treschow and
        > Mark Duckworth)
        > * "Where is that Worthless Dreamer?" Bottom's Fantastic Redemption
        > in Hoffman's A Midsummer Night's Dream (Frank P. Riga)
        >
        > Enjoy!
        >

        > Janet
        >

        > Janet Brennan Croft
        > Head of Access Services
        > University of Oklahoma Libraries
        > Bizzell 104NW
        > Norman OK 73019
        > 405-325-1918
        > Fax 405-325-7618
        > jbcroft@... <mailto:jbcroft%40ou.edu>
        > http://faculty-staff.ou.edu/C/Janet.B.Croft-1/
        <http://faculty-staff.ou.edu/C/Janet.B.Croft-1/>
        > http://libraries.ou.edu/ <http://libraries.ou.edu/>
        > Editor of Mythlore http://www.mythsoc.org/mythlore.html
        <http://www.mythsoc.org/mythlore.html>

        > "We cannot abandon what we are fighting to defend; that would make our
        > self-defence indefensible." Harriet Vane in A Presumption of Death,
        Jill
        > Paton Walsh and Dorothy L. Sayers

        <http://www.mythsoc.org>
        > Yahoo! Groups Links
        >

        > --
        11/8/2006

      • David Emerson
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 8, 2006
          Got mine a few days ago. Just skimmed through, but it looks good. Good job, Janet!

          emerdavid

          PeoplePC Online
          A better way to Internet
          http://www.peoplepc.com
        • Diane Joy Baker
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 9, 2006
            I've already read a couple of articles: the one on the swords in LOTR and am looking forward to the one on Harry Potter. Excellent job, Janet! Kudos to the writers. ---djb

            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 9, 2006
              Thanks! I'm very pleased with this issue. I have enough articles lined
              up for spring 2007, and I'm looking for some great articles for our
              special 99/100 issue in fall 2007.

              Janet