new arrival

  • John D Rateliff
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 2, 2006
      ENTS, ELVES, AND ERIADOR: THE ENVIRONMENTAL VISION OF J.R.R. TOLKIEN
      by Matthew Dickerson and Jonathan Evans. Haven't had a chance to leaf
      through it yet, but it's part of a series called Culture of the Land:
      A Series in the New Agrarianism and apparently represents an
      "ecocriticism" approach. I haven't read Dickerson's earlier book
      FOLLOWING GANDALF, but Evan's essay on Tolkien's dragons in the
      Timmons-Clark book (which I originally heard presented at the CFA in
      Florida) is v. good. Shippey provides a brief afterword. No mention
      of Dunsany in the index, alas.
      --John R.