Mythlore 95/96 is here!

  • Croft, Janet B.
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 1, 2006
      And if you're a subscriber, it will be in your hands soon!

      Contents for this really thick (216 pages!) double issue include:

      * "In the Hilt is Fame": Resonances of Medieval Swords and
      Sword-lore in J.R.R. Tolkien's The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings
      (K.S. Whetter and R. Andrew McDonald)
      * Myth Maker, Unicorn Maker: C.S. Lewis and the Reshaping of
      Medieval Thought (Chad Wriglesworth)
      * The Theory and Practice of Alliterative Verse in the Work of
      J.R.R. Tolkien (Mark F. Hall)
      * "Surely You Don't Disbelieve": Tolkien and Pius X:
      Anti-Modernism in Middle-earth (A.R. Bossert)
      * The Shell-shocked Hobbit: The First World War and Tolkien's
      Trauma of the Ring (Michael Livingston)
      * Lord Dunsany and the Great War: Don Rodriguez and the Rebirth of
      Romance (David J. Carlson)
      * Playing by the Rules: Kipling's "Great Game" vs. "The Great
      Dance" in C.S. Lewis's Space Trilogy (Teresa Hooper)
      * An Unexpected Guest (Anne Amison)
      * Dreaming of Dragons: Tolkien's Impact on Heaney's Beowulf
      (Felicia Jean Steele)
      * Wise Warriors in Tolkien, Lewis, and Rowling (Ernelle Fife)
      * From Isolation to Community: Frodo's Incomplete Personal Quest
      in The Lord of the Rings (Devin Brown)
      * Bombadil's Role in The Lord of the Rings (Michael Treschow and
      Mark Duckworth)
      * "Where is that Worthless Dreamer?" Bottom's Fantastic Redemption
      in Hoffman's A Midsummer Night's Dream (Frank P. Riga)

      Enjoy!

      Janet

      Janet Brennan Croft
      Head of Access Services
      University of Oklahoma Libraries
      Bizzell 104NW
      Norman OK 73019
      405-325-1918
      Fax 405-325-7618
      jbcroft@...
      http://libraries.ou.edu/

      "We cannot abandon what we are fighting to defend; that would make our
      self-defence indefensible." Harriet Vane in A Presumption of Death, Jill
      Paton Walsh and Dorothy L. Sayers

    • Diane Joy Baker
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 8, 2006
        Got mine; now I need to renew. ---djb

        > And if you're a subscriber, it will be in your hands soon!
        >

        > Contents for this really thick (216 pages!) double issue include:
        >
        > * "In the Hilt is Fame": Resonances of Medieval Swords and
        > Sword-lore in J.R.R. Tolkien's The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings
        > (K.S. Whetter and R. Andrew McDonald)
        > * Myth Maker, Unicorn Maker: C.S. Lewis and the Reshaping of
        > Medieval Thought (Chad Wriglesworth)
        > * The Theory and Practice of Alliterative Verse in the Work of
        > J.R.R. Tolkien (Mark F. Hall)
        > * "Surely You Don't Disbelieve": Tolkien and Pius X:
        > Anti-Modernism in Middle-earth (A.R. Bossert)
        > * The Shell-shocked Hobbit: The First World War and Tolkien's
        > Trauma of the Ring (Michael Livingston)
        > * Lord Dunsany and the Great War: Don Rodriguez and the Rebirth of
        > Romance (David J. Carlson)
        > * Playing by the Rules: Kipling's "Great Game" vs. "The Great
        > Dance" in C.S. Lewis's Space Trilogy (Teresa Hooper)
        > * An Unexpected Guest (Anne Amison)
        > * Dreaming of Dragons: Tolkien's Impact on Heaney's Beowulf
        > (Felicia Jean Steele)
        > * Wise Warriors in Tolkien, Lewis, and Rowling (Ernelle Fife)
        > * From Isolation to Community: Frodo's Incomplete Personal Quest
        > in The Lord of the Rings (Devin Brown)
        > * Bombadil's Role in The Lord of the Rings (Michael Treschow and
        > Mark Duckworth)
        > * "Where is that Worthless Dreamer?" Bottom's Fantastic Redemption
        > in Hoffman's A Midsummer Night's Dream (Frank P. Riga)
        >
        > Enjoy!
        >

        > Janet
        >

        > Janet Brennan Croft
        > Head of Access Services
        > University of Oklahoma Libraries
        > Bizzell 104NW
        > Norman OK 73019
        > 405-325-1918
        > Fax 405-325-7618
        > jbcroft@...
        > http://faculty-staff.ou.edu/C/Janet.B.Croft-1/
        > http://libraries.ou.edu/
        > Editor of Mythlore http://www.mythsoc.org/mythlore.html
        >
        > "We cannot abandon what we are fighting to defend; that would make our
        > self-defence indefensible." Harriet Vane in A Presumption of Death, Jill
        > Paton Walsh and Dorothy L. Sayers

        > Yahoo! Groups Links
        >

        > --

      • Croft, Janet B.
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 8, 2006
          Goodie! I'm starting to get back issues sent to people who moved and
          didn't give us their new address - I know there are a lot of subscribers
          on this list, so if you move, please be sure to send in your new address
          so you'll get your Mythlore!

          ________________________________

          > And if you're a subscriber, it will be in your hands soon!
          >

          > Contents for this really thick (216 pages!) double issue include:
          >
          > * "In the Hilt is Fame": Resonances of Medieval Swords and
          > Sword-lore in J.R.R. Tolkien's The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings
          > (K.S. Whetter and R. Andrew McDonald)
          > * Myth Maker, Unicorn Maker: C.S. Lewis and the Reshaping of
          > Medieval Thought (Chad Wriglesworth)
          > * The Theory and Practice of Alliterative Verse in the Work of
          > J.R.R. Tolkien (Mark F. Hall)
          > * "Surely You Don't Disbelieve": Tolkien and Pius X:
          > Anti-Modernism in Middle-earth (A.R. Bossert)
          > * The Shell-shocked Hobbit: The First World War and Tolkien's
          > Trauma of the Ring (Michael Livingston)
          > * Lord Dunsany and the Great War: Don Rodriguez and the Rebirth of
          > Romance (David J. Carlson)
          > * Playing by the Rules: Kipling's "Great Game" vs. "The Great
          > Dance" in C.S. Lewis's Space Trilogy (Teresa Hooper)
          > * An Unexpected Guest (Anne Amison)
          > * Dreaming of Dragons: Tolkien's Impact on Heaney's Beowulf
          > (Felicia Jean Steele)
          > * Wise Warriors in Tolkien, Lewis, and Rowling (Ernelle Fife)
          > * From Isolation to Community: Frodo's Incomplete Personal Quest
          > in The Lord of the Rings (Devin Brown)
          > * Bombadil's Role in The Lord of the Rings (Michael Treschow and
          > Mark Duckworth)
          > * "Where is that Worthless Dreamer?" Bottom's Fantastic Redemption
          > in Hoffman's A Midsummer Night's Dream (Frank P. Riga)
          >
          > Enjoy!
          >

          > Janet
          >

          > Janet Brennan Croft
          > Head of Access Services
          > University of Oklahoma Libraries
          > Bizzell 104NW
          > Norman OK 73019
          > 405-325-1918
          > Fax 405-325-7618
          > jbcroft@... <mailto:jbcroft%40ou.edu>
          > http://faculty-staff.ou.edu/C/Janet.B.Croft-1/
          <http://faculty-staff.ou.edu/C/Janet.B.Croft-1/>
          > http://libraries.ou.edu/ <http://libraries.ou.edu/>
          > Editor of Mythlore http://www.mythsoc.org/mythlore.html
          <http://www.mythsoc.org/mythlore.html>

          > "We cannot abandon what we are fighting to defend; that would make our
          > self-defence indefensible." Harriet Vane in A Presumption of Death,
          Jill
          > Paton Walsh and Dorothy L. Sayers

          <http://www.mythsoc.org>
          > Yahoo! Groups Links
          >

          > --
          11/8/2006

        • David Emerson
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 8, 2006
            Got mine a few days ago. Just skimmed through, but it looks good. Good job, Janet!

            emerdavid

            PeoplePC Online
            A better way to Internet
            http://www.peoplepc.com
          • Diane Joy Baker

              Message 6 of 6 , Nov 9, 2006
                Thanks! I'm very pleased with this issue. I have enough articles lined
                up for spring 2007, and I'm looking for some great articles for our
                special 99/100 issue in fall 2007.

                Janet