Re: Santorum evokes Tolkien

  • Carl F. Hostetter
    Message 1 of 39 , Oct 26, 2006

      >"[Quoting another:] the
      >Eye was US public opinion, Frodo and Sam were Bush and Cheney, and the
      >Ring they were trying to throw into Mt Doom was the Constitution."
      >
      >"I'd still dislike him intensely but I'd have more
      >respect for his intelligence, and feel more like he respected mine."
      >
      >Please be fair, Carl, I said YMMV and I said I was quoting.

      Yep: that would be why I editorially inserted "[QUOTING ANOTHER:]" (emphasis
      mine; you quoted it above even), AND why I didn't attribute names to any of
      the quotes. My point was not to fault others for their opinions or quotes,
      but rather to highlight the fact that the discussion had IN FACT incorporated
      partisan (and frankly ad hominem) political statements, as I felt it should not
      (of whatever persuastion).

      > Respecting each others' intelligence is a non-partisan value,

      Agreed; in fact, that's also rather MY POINT: I haven't seen much respect for
      the intelligence of Santorum (or Bush or Cheney or...) in this discussion.
      Quite the opposite, really: the discussion was lobbed into the list pretty
      much as an invitation to ridicule him, and taken up as such.
    • ajkjr1
      Message 39 of 39 , Oct 29, 2006
        Here is a copy of the poem, it is in The Fellowship of The Ring.

        The Road goes ever on and on
        Down from the door where it began.
        Now far ahead the Road has gone,
        And I must follow, if I can,